Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   unconventional "batting" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unconventional-%22batting%22-t40303.html)

fabric-holic 03-22-2010 03:08 AM

My grandmother made quilts from the late 1890's till she died in 1960's. I never saw her buy fabric. She always recycled before it was called that.
So I, in a pinch, have at times followed in her footsteps. Like when I used an old electric blanket for batting (after I pulled all the wires out). Boy was that a nice warm quilt afterwards! My kids used to fight over it. I had to tie that one, not quilt it.
I've also used fleece between the top and backing, eventhough I know the fleece could have been used AS the backing.
I also remember using old flannel flat sheets (2 at a time).
What have you used?

Rebecca VLQ 03-22-2010 03:17 AM

Watching this thread...

I had an epiphany one day when I fully understood WHY it was ok to cut up men's shirts to use in quilts. Heh...they're FABRIC. I know, it seems silly to have to "realize" that, but still...

watterstide 03-22-2010 03:23 AM

i have used flannel sheets in place of batting for a few "summer" quilts i have made.

tlrnhi 03-22-2010 04:25 AM

I've used blankets that I've no longer wanted or used in the house. They make great batting for "give away" quilts for charities.

fabric-holic 03-22-2010 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Watching this thread...

I had an epiphany one day when I fully understood WHY it was ok to cut up men's shirts to use in quilts. Heh...they're FABRIC. I know, it seems silly to have to "realize" that, but still...

I love cutting up mens shirts and even a tie now and then.

pocoellie 03-22-2010 04:52 AM

I've also used those quilted mattress pads(not the waterproof ones) and tied them, since most of my quilts are donated and I can't afford to spend tons of money for batting and such.

fabric-holic 03-22-2010 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I've also used those quilted mattress pads(not the waterproof ones) and tied them, since most of my quilts are donated and I can't afford to spend tons of money for batting and such.

Oh I hadn't thought of those.
I just threw one out. :|

Jingle 03-22-2010 05:07 AM

I only use new fabric and polyester batting. Figure if I'm going to take the time and energy to do all that work I'm using all new 'stuff'. I give most of my quilts to poeple I know or a family member knows.

jraff 03-22-2010 06:16 AM

I used old mattress pads, double thickness, when I made pot holders this Christmas. I had some extra quilt blocks laying around, so those became the potholder tops.

They were a bit puffy, but I could still machine-quilt through them a bit.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-22-2010 06:27 AM

My ex-husbands grandmother used old blankets in hers. They were so thick that once they were on top of you, you could not move. Now that's a warm blanket.