Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Under my needle...finally. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/under-my-needle-finally-t300722.html)

Watson 11-05-2018 12:37 PM

Under my needle...finally.

1 Attachment(s)
A year ago September, I posted a wall hanging on here and asked for ideas on a fill for the background. I received lots of wonderful ideas and help from members but nothing really took. Either it didn't seem right, or I wasn't good enough at FMQ to pull it off! It's been hanging over the railing of my stairs ever since, laughing at me.
I've tried a few things. And pulled out about a mile of thread. I think I like the central part so I've let it stay for now.
One of the generous members here had sent me a drawing with some "ghost" NY Beauty circles, so I put in a few of those to see how they looked. That sat for a few months because I still couldn't find anything to fill all that negative space until I realized...I had the circles...what else was there in the design, but triangles? So, I started filling up the background with triangles and I like it!
Excuse the chalk dust, pet hair, etc....black is really hard to keep clean while you're working on it.
Anyhow, my point is....your quilting design is in there somewhere. You may just be like me and have to wait awhile until it comes to you. But don't settle! Wait for something that makes you happy. There's no expiration date!

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603525[/ATTACH]

PS..the "ghost" circles aren't bright like that in real life. Don't know what happened with the camera.

WANNABEE 11-05-2018 12:47 PM

Wow! did you say you"re not good enough at FMQ? It is truly beautiful. Enjoy.

Tartan 11-05-2018 12:49 PM

Well done! Sometimes things just have to stew for a bit.

Jingle 11-05-2018 01:30 PM

That is gorgeous and the colors too.

Boston1954 11-05-2018 01:52 PM

It's gorgeous! So glad that you found something that caught your eye.

feline fanatic 11-05-2018 03:37 PM

Love it!! I especially like those quilted FG in high contrast thread, they look fabulous! The background fill of triangles is totally working on this too.

MicheleC 11-05-2018 03:51 PM

Great application of your idea! It was worth the wait.

SusieQOH 11-05-2018 04:05 PM

Watson, that is so gorgeous!

DJ 11-05-2018 04:26 PM

That's a fantastic quilt. You really do beautiful work.

zozee 11-05-2018 05:13 PM

Gorgeous!! I love those colors! And yes, I had a quilt that I had to really think about how to quilt it. It was a log cabin for my sister who lives in a log cabin, has horses, and is a USAF vet. Lots of negative space had me stumped till I had a “eureka!” moment like you did. I gave it to her last November and she will still write and mention in email every couple months “you really put a lot of thought into this quilt!! It was so worth mulling over so I could make the quilting as fun to look at as the piecing. I’m glad you didn’t settle either.