Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Underground Railroad quilt by Elenear Burns Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/underground-railroad-quilt-elenear-burns-help-t259311.html)

laurafaith55 01-07-2015 06:54 AM

Underground Railroad quilt by Elenear Burns Help

hi everyone! just got all my underground railroad blocks completed!!! but I cant seem to figure out how to get the "story" printed out and onto the quilt?? im doing the 16 block option. it says u have to use a non-laser printer (which is what I have at home and work)...anyone have any ideas?? also is there a link to somewhere u go to print it out? im confused LOL -- thanks!

dd 01-07-2015 07:00 AM

How about the library? They will print stuff and it's like a quarter here.

ManiacQuilter2 01-07-2015 07:07 AM

Have you gone onto EB website?? She does have some u-tube videos. Never made this particular quilt.

Kassaundra 01-07-2015 07:24 AM

I'm working on an URR quilt too, I had not thought of including the story. Sorry I don't have any experience w/ printing on fabric.

laurafaith55 01-07-2015 10:13 AM

ok I think I found the link to print the story -- just have to figure out how to get it on the fabric -- thanks all!

cmilton 01-07-2015 10:19 AM

use inkjet printer and print on fabric sheets
you can buy at Joannes etc.

Jan in VA 01-07-2015 10:50 AM

You are not likely to be able to use a library's or other business/organization's printer to print onto fabric as they'll be concerned about damage to their machines. (not likely to happen, but still.....) You'll have to find a friend who'll let you use their inkjet printer to transfer what you want to print onto fabric.

1. Cut a piece of freezer paper the size of the paper that fits the printer. (This is merely your stabilizer for the fabric.
2. Press the shiny side of the freezer paper, without steam, to the WRONG side of the fabric you wish to use as the label.
3. Trim the fabric to the size of the freezer paper if you didn't before.
4. Line the fabric-fused paper up into the printer so that the printing will be on the fabric -- NOT the paper -- and print as usual.
5. Gently remove the freezer paper from your fabric.
6. Be sure the ink is thoroughly dried before getting this fabric damp or wet. If you press to turn the edges for appliqueing it down to the back of the quilt, be sure to use NO steam. Using an HP printer and HP inks, I have washed many quilts with these printer done labels with no problems, especially after waiting for a few weeks. Even those done in color or with fancy printed borders. :)

Jan in VA

dltaylor 01-07-2015 10:54 AM

Print it out on the fusible fabric sheets. That's what I did and it came out perfect.

SusanSusan33 01-07-2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7037643)
You are not likely to be able to use a library's or other business/organization's printer to print onto fabric as they'll be concerned about damage to their machines. (not likely to happen, but still.....) You'll have to find a friend who'll let you use their inkjet printer to transfer what you want to print onto fabric.

1. Cut a piece of freezer paper the size of the paper that fits the printer. (This is merely your stabilizer for the fabric.
2. Press the shiny side of the freezer paper, without steam, to the WRONG side of the fabric you wish to use as the label.
3. Trim the fabric to the size of the freezer paper if you didn't before.
4. Line the fabric-fused paper up into the printer so that the printing will be on the fabric -- NOT the paper -- and print as usual.
5. Gently remove the freezer paper from your fabric.
6. Be sure the ink is thoroughly dried before getting this fabric damp or wet. If you press to turn the edges for appliqueing it down to the back of the quilt, be sure to use NO steam. Using an HP printer and HP inks, I have washed many quilts with these printer done labels with no problems, especially after waiting for a few weeks. Even those done in color or with fancy printed borders. :)

Jan in VA

Jan- I've been wondering how to rpint labels so this helps a lot. You are always soo sooo thoughtful and thorough in your explanations!! Thank you so very much for everything you contribute to the quilting board.

laurafaith55 01-07-2015 12:31 PM

THANKS to all! and jan ill try that!!