Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Understanding cheap fabric content (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/understanding-cheap-fabric-content-t302382.html)

Schill93 01-19-2019 01:34 PM

Understanding cheap fabric content

I am reorganizing using the newly found comic board covers, and thus far have gone through over 20 packages of them, (meaning I have folded over 2000 yards of fabric so far ) Over the past year or two, I have purchased fabric from $12.99 a yard to a low of $3.00 a yard on sale.

Most times you can feel the difference right away and also see it as well in most cases, and I understand about thread count. More expensive fabric feels more substantial and has a wonderful softness. Cheap fabric is often a little stiff and course as you run your hand over it. But there is an exception to this I find with Joann's fabric. Their cheapest fabric is their Quilter's Showcase line ($5.95 retail which is always discounted) Next up is their Keepsake line $7.95 again always discounted. Then their better Keepsake, which is $9.95 retail, and last their Premium fabric which is in the $13 to $14 a yd. range.

Now my question. Their cheapest line (Quilter's Showcase) has some very cute prints and Soft feeling hand, although admittedly thin. Much softer and pleasant feeling than any of the other more expensive Keepsake line. What accounts for this softness? Are any of you familiar with the one's I may be referencing? Have you ever used them in quilts? I really like the print on some of these as well as the feel, but fear using them as you don't want all that labor to go to waste should they not fare well. I would be afraid to use any of it on a gift quilt, so have considered making a very simple (not time consuming quilt throw for myself and washing the heck out of it to see what happens)

What has been your experience?

tranum 01-19-2019 02:47 PM

Not sure if it’s Keepsake or Q.Showcase - but I’ve found I don’t like working with any fabric when the salvage puckers. I cut some vintage (guessing from 60’s or 70’s) yardage up for a quilt yesterday and there was no more than 1/4” salvage. Anymore, some brands have an inch of salvage. Just an observation.

Anniedeb 01-19-2019 03:22 PM

I've used their fabric for years, and have never had a problem with it. I've gotten much better on the "hand feel" aspect of fabric. I've also learned I can't go by price. I've seen fabric really cheap, and some really high priced, and not liked the feel or quality. This is not limited to just them. I've found the same thing in LQS, and fabric warehouses.

geevee 01-19-2019 09:11 PM

I do like the softness of the Quilter's Showcase over the Keepsakes but I've gotten more shrinkage from them, when I used them I just figure it into how much I need. I use the stiffer feel fabrics when I don't necessarily want softness, like in a valance or table runner, etc.

Schill93 01-19-2019 10:44 PM

So does the softer feel come from the loser weave or less density? If so, then what creates the soft feel of the heavier more expensive quilt store fabrics. It seems the very cheap Quilter's Showcase and the expensive designer brand quilt fabrics are both soft with the difference in the weight. Whereas, most other cheaper fabrics are stiff and rough to the touch (what I refer to as cardboard fabric)

Maureen 01-21-2019 02:48 AM

I have used some of JoAnn fabric for table runners and mug rugs, etc., but if Im going to put many hours into a quilt I want to outlive me, I’m going to a quilt shop to buy my fabric.

Lee in Richmond 01-21-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Schill93 (Post 8196221)
So does the softer feel come from the loser weave or less density? If so, then what creates the soft feel of the heavier more expensive quilt store fabrics. It seems the very cheap Quilter's Showcase and the expensive designer brand quilt fabrics are both soft with the difference in the weight. Whereas, most other cheaper fabrics are stiff and rough to the touch (what I refer to as cardboard fabric)

I have the same questions, plus why solid color fabric seems to be coarser in weave and feel than printed fabric, at comparable price points.

GingerK 01-21-2019 06:39 AM

Sometimes the softness of fabric is dictated by the type--and amount--of sizing that the manufacturer uses. Sizing (and products like Best Press) can affect my breathing and I almost always will wet down (rinse) the fabric I want to use in the hottest water I can stand, and then throw in the dryer. Sometimes the water remains almost clear and other times it becomes very cloudy--almost like very thin starch.

The exception to this is when I am using donated scraps. As soon as I start pressing seams I can tell if there is unwashed or treated fabric in the mix.

I agree with Lee in Richmond, that many solids--especially the Konas--often have a coarser and looser weave. I wish I could find solid fabrics that have the same thread count. I always preshrink them, which seems to tighten up the weave a bit. I have also learned to cut slightly off grain which seems to help with the raveling.

Lee in Richmond 01-21-2019 08:10 AM

I think there are different kinds (species) of cotton, some perhaps better for making thread than others, and I guess the factory can control the coarseness of the thread and the density of the weave.

joe'smom 01-21-2019 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Schill93 (Post 8196221)

I'm very interested in this question, as well. Speaking about texture after washing, Benartex fabrics seem quite silky, whereas many Moda fabrics seem heavier and coarser. I love the texture of Art Gallery fabrics, which is very, very thin and almost papery. Would love to understand this better.