Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   uneven backing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uneven-backing-fabric-t289880.html)

mtkoldra 07-24-2017 09:47 AM

uneven backing fabric

1 Attachment(s)
It took me all morning to figure and finally square my backing fabric. Because the way it was cut I am loosing about 12-14 inches on each end. Frustrating but I am glad that I have purchase a bit more otherwise I would have to piece it. Disappointed that the fabric store cut it so uneven.

QuiltnNan 07-24-2017 10:06 AM

wow, that's not even just a little bit!

MadQuilter 07-24-2017 10:48 AM

I always buy extra for that reason and always square up the ends.

quiltsRfun 07-24-2017 11:24 AM

It might be the way it was put on the bolt.

feline fanatic 07-24-2017 12:30 PM

I would let the store know how much waste you had. What is the worst that can happen in letting them know, I am thinking they would do nothing. Best case scenario, they may actually give you a store credit. I have bought a fair amount of wide back and have never had it as bad as that. I think the most I lost to squaring up was 6".

I usually buy extra as well and usually get my backing on line. The fabric is pretty and you can use the waste bits in scrap quilt.

Sewnoma 07-24-2017 12:41 PM

I got tired of this and started buying wide back solids by the bolt. That way I can rip the fabric off of the bolt myself - always comes out straight! For awhile I was asking shops to rip wide backing off of the bolts but I got tired of the looks of horror.

I still buy cute prints in wide backs too, but I buy lots of extra and then I rip the ends off when I get it home to get it square. I swear most of the fabric I buy these days are printed out of square and then wrapped onto the bolts in a less-than-straight fashion too. No wonder the staff can't get a straight cut!

Plus, it's just fun to rip fabric! I trim the ripped ends about 2 inches in, and fold & braid the strips into dog toys, so it's not really very wasteful. :)

SHELTIE'SMAMA 07-24-2017 01:04 PM

I too always rip to straighten but I rip one end only and work from the rip end down. Then once I have my quilt sandwiched I cut off the extra. Yes extra wide backing because its folded then wound on bolt has a strong tendency to get uneven if they just lay it out on the table and cut. Its like cutting a plaid or stripe straight off the bolt versus cutting down the stripe. Burns me - I just lost 7" off a repeating plaid for this very reason.

For dramatic effect have you considered taking the ends in to explain to the store why you are upset? The visual of more than 1/2 yard might drive the point home quite quickly. I'm with the others on letting the store know or buying elsewhere.

117becca 07-24-2017 01:24 PM

wow!!! out of curiosity, how wide was that fabric to begin w/??? And i would take it back to the store if possible and complain.

i have been pretty satisfied w/ fabric cut at quilt stores - but the bolts of fabric are usually first runs and they are wound pretty good. I find that bolts at found at Joann's tend to be wonky a lot of the time and i have to watch very carefully.

mtkoldra 07-24-2017 02:41 PM

i bought it on the web, next time I will mention it when I place the order. My local QS does not carry wide fabric. thanks for your comments, never thought of ripping the fabric on the end, next time I will, too!

Quilt30 07-24-2017 05:47 PM

Quilters should rise up and demand the wide backing be torn. When I ask my local shop to tare they said " o we give 6" extra. Well I lost 6" from both ends making 12" waste. File a complaint with the site where you bought it. Send a picture and emphasize you purchased x amount of usable fabric.