Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   uneven quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uneven-quilt-t175980.html)

greenm5 01-17-2012 11:03 AM

uneven quilt

I'm a junior varsity quilter. I finished a log cabin wall hanging and it is uneven. How picky should I be? Should I take it apart and fix it?

Holice 01-17-2012 11:06 AM

if it bothers you......then yes.
Unevenness is caused by possibly tw things - inaccurate cutting and inaccurate seams.
It is a good idea to measure as you go along to make sure it is staying "squared".

valleyquiltermo 01-17-2012 11:14 AM

I agree with Holice.

Jersey Gal 01-17-2012 11:28 AM

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and would lay it aside for a day or two, and then tackle the problem.

GingerK 01-17-2012 11:37 AM

Log cabins can go wonky very quickly. I found that the easiest (tho not the fastest) way of keeping everything square, was to press and measure after every seam. I also found that I had better luck if I cut the strips to length before attaching. How about a picture please?

bearisgray 01-17-2012 11:40 AM

What stage of the project are you at?

If it's quilted and bound, then let it be.

Figure out where the glitches are and "do better" next time.

If it's at a stage where it would be comparatively easy to fix it, then I would take it apart and redo it.

If the question is "how picky should YOU be?" - I can't answer that for you.

I know how picky I am - and wonky does bother me.

dunster 01-17-2012 11:59 AM

The other thing to consider is that if a bed quilt is not quite square it doesn't show up when the quilt is on the bed. However if a wall hanging is uneven it shows up all the time. Every time you look at it you will be reminded. So yes, I would fix it - unless it's already quilted, and then I would just cry.

nycquilter 01-17-2012 01:53 PM

there are several schools as you see. I would add only that from now on, press after each and every step and then square up your blocks. If your fix for this is simple, I would say do it. Meaning, if it is one seam only to be removed. But if it is a problem inherent in each and every block, caused by not pressing or squaring up, then do something like tie the quilt and get it used. Think of it as where you will measure your future quilts from. Or as a utility quilt, which were not at all intended as heirlooms but to keep the "younguns" warm at night. Those are the quilts that got used and loved...someone's blanky. Whatever you choose, know you are making the right decision no matter the reason. Learn for the future. Love your quilt.

ckcowl 01-17-2012 02:05 PM

what is uneven about it? show us pictures-- there may be a fix for it without doing alot of taking apart-
it is important to square up your blocks as you go so everything fits together nicely-

QandE2010 01-17-2012 02:09 PM

Depends on whether it bothers you and how far off is it? If it is noticeable, then yes, but if only you would notice it and it doesn't both you, then no. Good no answer answer. LOL