Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unexpected-results-using-warm-natural-batting-t262715.html)

mac 03-16-2015 08:06 AM

Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting

A friend had her 90x70” quilt professionally done and when she got it back it looked like the quilter had used a needle with a burr on it. The batting had popped through the backing on ¾ of the quilt. The quilter showed her what happened and said that she changed her needle 3 times but it still kept on happening. Since we all go to the Senior Center on Tuesday’s for a quilting workshop, 8 of us pitched in and started the “reverse quilting” project. It looked like a reverse-quilting bee.

It took us a month of Tuesdays, and during the time we all gave our theory on why it happened. My friend had used Warm and Natural cotton batting and we started noticing that there were a lot of little bumps in the batting. You couldn't see them, but you could feel it with your fingers. When she sent the quilt back to the quilter, she gave her all new batting. The quilter said that it quilted like a charm and it looked beautiful when it came back.

She had purchased 11 yards batting at Joann’s when it was on sale. In the middle of the reverse quilting project when we suspected that it might be the batting, we took the quilt and the remainder of the batting back to Joann’s and they exchanged the entire yardage for new batting. They were being quite generous since my friend had thrown away her receipt. Who knew, you buy batting and just assume that it will be good to go.

Moral of the story: always keep your receipt and have lots of wonderful quilting friends.

KalamaQuilts 03-16-2015 08:31 AM

was it generic? Some years ago I bought a few yards of JoAnn's generic warm and natural off the roll, it looked and felt identical, but in use it was a whole different batt.

Crazy the quilter didn't stop but rather kept on...and so fortunate there were willing hands to unstitch.

If it was generic the title of the thread should be changed...

Geri B 03-16-2015 08:32 AM

Strange indeed....thanks for that.....first I though the quilter put the batting upside down and it was being pushed thru the needle holes, thus bearing, or she had a burr on her needle.....never had any w&n that was bad, but since JAF gave $$ back without hassle, maybe others had a prob too.....

Peckish 03-16-2015 08:53 AM

I believe W&N has scrim, and I wonder if the quilter quilted it upside down. I quit using W&N quite some time ago, so I could be wrong.

feline fanatic 03-16-2015 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
W&N definitely has a right side up and if you load it upside down in a longarm this is exactly what happens. I remember by the phrase "bump is up"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513861[/ATTACH]

tessagin 03-16-2015 09:15 AM

Good to get this information. Saving it. So sorry she had to go through this though.

Chester the bunny 03-16-2015 09:16 AM

What????? There is a right side and wrong side?
I knew that there was a different texture on both sides but did not realize it would make a difference. I don't remember ever having a problem but maybe somewhere out there, there are quilts with beards.

ckcowl 03-16-2015 10:42 AM

Glad this had a happy ending! Sometimes ( un-quilting) can leave areas that are never OK again. It does take a long time to reverse stitch a whole quilt, thank goodness for good friends and a cooperative Joanne's. Always nice when mishaps turn out well

CarolinePaj 03-16-2015 01:28 PM

This is fantastic information to have.... I never realised that there is a wrong and right side to wadding!

Hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7129761)
W&N definitely has a right side up and if you load it upside down in a longarm this is exactly what happens. I remember by the phrase "bump is up"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513861[/ATTACH]

oklahomamom2 03-16-2015 08:13 PM

Thanks for posting this I just bought 5 yards of W&N and will check it before quilting it.