Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unpicking quilt puckers on back how to do it right this time? (505) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unpicking-quilt-puckers-back-how-do-right-time-505-a-t270117.html)

Susan7639 09-18-2015 09:28 AM

Unpicking quilt puckers on back how to do it right this time? (505)

First time spray basting (505) on a wall. I smoother, smoothed, smoothed, but I did not purposely have another person help me pull the back really really taut. I positioned the back on the wall so that the seam was perpendicular. (for ease of lining up). Then I taped perpendicular lines and sewed about 10 across the 70 inch quilt starting in middle working out. Sitch length 4, new needle. Using the feed dogs. When I examined in the light of day some lines of stitching had slightly puckered fabric. Trying this again and wan to get it right, again with the 505. Any comments greatly welcomed!

thimblebug6000 09-18-2015 09:44 AM

Are you using a walking foot to help pull the quilt sandwich through all layers at the same time?

Tartan 09-18-2015 09:53 AM

​Use a walking foot and increase the stitch length maybe. Are the stitches gathering the fabric or are there wrinkles in the backing fabric from the spray basting? If you are using polyester batt, it is harder to get a good smooth surface with 505 .

Susan7639 09-18-2015 10:11 AM

Stitch length is already 4 mm, yes using walking foot.

woody 09-18-2015 02:32 PM

Is the fabric actually pleated under the stitches or does fabric just look more crinkly than the stitches on the top of the quilt?
I find that the stitches at the top of my quilt always look smoother than the ones underneath.

If you could post some pictures then maybe we pinpoint the problem.

MadQuilter 09-18-2015 03:46 PM

Did you press the sandwich? I do and it brings out all of the wrinkles that need smoothing. Both sides.

Prism99 09-18-2015 06:40 PM

Pullling the backing really really taut will cause more problems. Backing should only be smoothed out, not pulled taut. If pulled too taut while sandwiching, once the tape is released the backing fabric will spring back and cause puckering.

My advice is to heavily starch the backing fabric before sandwiching. A 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water is a good proportion. This is much heavier than spray starching. It is also a good idea to apply several layers of spray starch to the top. What the starch does is *stabilize* the fabric so it is much less likely to stretch, distort, or pucker while you quilt.

505 is good because it creates continuous contact between the 3 sandwich layers.

I personally do not like sandwiching on a wall, as I find it more difficult than sandwiching on a table.

ClairVoyantQuilter 09-18-2015 07:09 PM

After assembling my sandwich with 505 Spray, I press both sides with steam. Then, with a basting stitch, run one down the middle, then turn it around and put another down the middle. Then turn around and place basting line hafway between the first basting stitch and the edge, then do the other side . . .then turn around and do it again . . .for a total of three basting lines on each side or a grid of 12 squares.

No puckers ��