Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   unuasual quilting idea...will it work and look good? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unuasual-quilting-idea-will-work-look-good-t197230.html)

joym 08-12-2012 06:47 AM

could someone post a picture of this kind of quilting?

BettyGee 08-12-2012 06:50 AM

A lady at my LQS told me when she SID she does a serpentine stitch on purpose so that she doesn't have to try so hard to stay in the ditch, looks super nice and sounds like it would sure do what you want.

Peepers 08-12-2012 07:16 AM

I'm just like you. It's either a grid or the curvy line. (One of my goals now that I'm retired is to get proficient with my Brother 1600 and my Little Gracie frame and maybe try some FMQ.) Anyways, when I do the curvy line, it's a gentle curve back and forth like a lot of big "Ss". Sometimes I do it top to bottom and side to side, sometimes on the diagonal. I use the walking foot and I always start by making an "X" or by going top to bottom, side to side in the middle to anchor the quilt. I start this in the middle and then go out to the edges all four ways and then after this, I just go edge to edge. Don't diss the grid though please. I like the way the grid looks if done evenly which can be a skill on to itself. I once had a quilt shop owner tell me she could never keep the grid evenly spaced and was impressed with my being able to.

Arleners 08-12-2012 08:43 AM

My theory is to go with the flow. If you find it difficult to do a totally straight stitch, or just are bored by it, do what you propose. I think it would add your own unique flair to the quilt. I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing for my next project which is a tee shirt quilt I have to have done very fast. I'm the finisher on a group project and have not gotten the blocks yet. I imagine this could be quite quick if you didn't quilt too close together.

gigiquilts 08-12-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by DawnA (Post 5431309)
I have a very basic machine so straight or grid quilting is my options. I was thinking of starting at one corner and letting the foot meander on its own and kind of guiding it to the opposit corner. Then begin following that line with the presser foot to the right corner. Of course I would follow the line to the left corner also. So in my mind this would be combining fmq and straight line quilting. Has anyone ever did this or seen it? I only do small quilts like doll and baby. I dont think it would be to hard.

Yes I do this frequently and enjoy dialouge lines or slight curves. Makes a interesting quilt pattern that is pleasing to the eye. Do it and enjoy it.

BellaBoo 08-12-2012 09:11 AM

You will love this quilting book: One Line at a Time by Charlotte Warr Andersen. No fmq needed for these designs.

crafterrn1 08-12-2012 09:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is so not true. You can do curves with a walking foot! I teach a class on machine quilting with the walking foot and feed dogs up. It is a whole clothe mini quilt. It starts with a center design from a quilting stencil. Then we add the filler quilting usuall a grid. Then we pick a border stecil or when I do borders I have a couple of gret wavy stitches to do in them. Never believe that you can't do curves with a walking foot. I have and I do. Make a practice quilt sandwich. Mark it and follow the lines. if it is a leaf needle down at the point turn the quilt. Line up the line and stitch to the end. You can go over stitching it is done on the longarm all the time. Enjoy the process. Yes you can go from one end to the other through the corners. You may need to speed up as the are bulky seams in the corners then slow down to maintain the straight or curvy line. Luann

JoanneS 08-12-2012 09:22 AM

Sometimes our weaknesses lead to new strengths. Go for it!

Gerbie 08-12-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by DawnA (Post 5431352)
Okay, so maybe draw a meandering curvy line and follow it to the other end. I like that idea. If the curves arnt to deep I can do that with my machine.

Dawn, depending upon the size of your quilt you plan to do, I would think of starting in the center of the quilt and go to the corner, then return to the center and go to the other corner. I would recommend that you consider this method first, make an x on the quilt with your lines whether curvy or straight lined, By starting in the center of the quilt, you don't have the problem of having a fold near the other edge, than if you started in one corner and went to the other corner. Ask me just how I know, lol. I was straight line quilting on a king size log cabin and started in one corner and continued on the corner and edges first, and ended up with folds on the other edged. Had to rip out all of the stitchin I had completed and start over. Just my opinion, this may not happed to others, but I always start in the center of every quilt I do now, I do not have a LA, and always quilt on my domestic Bernina 930. Good luck show us pics when you finish.

TanyaL 08-12-2012 10:43 AM

Crafterrn1- I'm very impressed with your quilting with a walking foot. Thank you for showing the picture. Wish you taught in Texas!