Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unusual batting. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unusual-batting-t172517.html)

My time 12-21-2011 03:35 PM

Yes Guano is bat poo. My husband likes the smell of burlap but I can't say I'm a fan. That being said I would think if you washed it many times in very hot water, and if there were any fibers left, one might try using it in a quilt. I hope someone tries it and let's us know how it goes. Who knows you might be on to something. I dare say many of the new feed sacks are now made of plastic type materials. Don't find much in burlap anymore.

countrycousin 12-22-2011 07:30 AM

As I stated this was used by many of the older quilters and was actually supposed to hold seeds etc. Burlap was also used to hold tobacco before the modern battings were produced. Quite a few of the new battings I do not care for as the fall apart too when washed. I prefer flannel, blankets etc.

Tink's Mom 12-22-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 4795498)
Well this is news. Guano is indeed poop. If that's the case I've got three dogs making "batting" in my backyard right now. I think I'll pass. :)

I second this motion...I did a craft show in a barn, very nice, high quality show....but, the had bats that left deposits at night...Thank God that I covered my things with sheets at night...I threw away the one sheet...it was pretty disgusting.
(I didn't do this show again)

misseva 12-22-2011 08:26 AM

Haven't read all the posts yet but I have an old, old quilt from my mom's family that is obviously an old quilt inside a new cover and tied. It has holes and inside is burlap used for batting. I'm sure it's what we always called "tow/toe" sacks that feed came in and I have seen potatoes in burlap bags.

leiladylei54 12-22-2011 08:32 AM

Poop and tar in place of batting....I think not!!! LOL

ambquilter 12-22-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 4795498)
Well this is news. Guano is indeed poop. If that's the case I've got three dogs making "batting" in my backyard right now. I think I'll pass. :)

ROFL

Angie

Betty Ruth 12-22-2011 08:22 PM

I don't know anything about guano sacks, but the burlap bags or gunny sacks are stronger than one might think. I would suggest washing them before ripping them up and drying on high heat to facilitate shrinkage. Because of the loose weave they ravel easily. In my opinion, two layers of burlap that has been washed and dried would make a quilt quite warm.

raptureready 12-22-2011 08:33 PM

Boy, guano dust can be very unhealthy if it's breathed in, I'm not sure I'd trust these. However, the poo may have been sanitized before it's bagged. I think I'll stick to the stuff that comes from the fabric store.

Cherylsea 12-23-2011 05:52 AM

I love topics that turn into pages of giggles!! You guys are all just too funny! Thanks for brightening my day!