Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unusual tool? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unusual-tool-t267890.html)

SMR 07-24-2015 06:44 PM

I keep one of those grab-it tools by my machine. It's great for picking up dropped fabric pieces and anything else I drop while sewing and it even has small magnet for dropped pins.

ClairVoyantQuilter 07-24-2015 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fastpedal (Post 7266171)
I use rubberized shelf covering to do my FMQ. I cut it into squares and just lay it on the quilt under my hands. I can move the quilt around easily and my hands are free (not having to remove gloves) to remove pins, etc as I quilt.

I've tried to do the same thing, using rubber rug backing for better grip . . .but kept losing the squares in the folds of my fabric in larger quilts, so just went back to my Hy-Flex gloves with the thumb and index fingers cut out, LOL

mike'sgirl 07-24-2015 07:18 PM

My dh gave me his lighted mirror on a long stick that I use to see my stitches on my frame.

Tiggersmom 07-24-2015 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes (Post 7265114)
Does anyone have any weird, "unintentional" favourite quilting tools in their sewing box?

I was squaring up some blocks this afternoon and my fingers were getting sore swiping away the skinny wisps of thread and fabric cut from each block when I hit upon the idea of using a recently purchased shaving brush...you know the sort....nice chunky little handle for easy grip and big boof of soft bristles. Now with a quick swipe around the edge of my square and block I can woosh away all those pesky little threads and fabric tatters leaving me with a lovely neat freshly squared block. :)

Such a good idea! Hubby got me one for cleaning out the bobbin area but I've never used it for that.

DOTTYMO 07-24-2015 09:47 PM

I have just started using one of those clothes sticky rollers to pick stray threads from a quilt. They don't leave a sticky residue .

mjsylvstr 07-25-2015 04:43 AM

My favorite and most recent find is the $ store lint roller. I have an indoor/outdoor rug in my sewing room and the teeny/tiny threads (I am a PP piecer,need I say more) grip to that carpet like glue and the vacuum must go over & over & over to grab those little suckers.....roll that little lint catcher over once or twice and they gather like it's a party!!!! Try it on the ironing board also, works like a charm........and for a buck, you can afford more than one!!!!!

juliea9967 07-25-2015 05:43 AM

These are some great ideas!

Bibliogirl 07-25-2015 07:54 AM

Very clever and useful idea! Thanks for sharing.

sdeaaz 07-25-2015 03:48 PM

A friend of mine uses a "clean" "new" toilet brush to sweep up loose threads from your carpeted floor... works great.

purplefiend 07-25-2015 06:21 PM

I use one of those masking tape lint rollers for getting rids of the excess strings and such from rotary cutting.