Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   UPDATE: My thrift store find... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-my-thrift-store-find-t128456.html)

eastermarie 06-06-2011 11:44 AM

Beautiful quilts.

swp.ruth 06-06-2011 11:45 AM

Love your scrappy ideas

DonnaC 06-06-2011 11:46 AM

These are such pretty scrappy quilts! Thanks for posting the pictures.

charity-crafter 06-06-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
My grandson's deployment quilt was all 2 1/2" scraps except the white sashing and the red border. If you skip the stars in the cornerstones, it would be easy.

Oh, I like this. Would you post a tutorial? You are so creative to be able to make the scrappy strips and the nice stars go so well together to give it a patriotic feel.

I make QOV's and this would be a perfect way to use up my strip scraps.

irishrose 06-06-2011 02:52 PM

A tutorial?? This was only my third quilt and I didn't have a pattern.

I had made a Friendship Star using the quilterscache.com directions when I ran short a block on my first quilt, so I knew how to do one. For A's quilt, I cut 2 1/2" strips from various fabrics, sewed them together and cut 8 1/2" blocks from the strips. I cut white sashing strips 8 1/2" and added a HST to each end (Flop a 2 1/2 square of the star fabric on the end, draw a line from corner to corner diagonally. Sew on the line, trim off excess.) Be sure the diagonal line angles in the same direction on both ends (ask me how I know). Some of the corners got 2 1/2" blocks added for the center of the star. This is where the design wall came in handy. My mind said to put white strips on all four sides of the block. Not! Alternate the direction the stripes in the blocks go as you put them up on the wall. Add the narrow color border, the wider border, quilt and bind. It was easy to quilt. SITD on the some of the lines, them FMQ in each box. I did waves, stars, meandering, a heart, etc. Each block was different ( I have a short attention span.)

I will be glad to answer any questions if you PM me.

Janice Thompson 06-06-2011 03:49 PM

Very nice. I'm starting to cut strips for another scrap quilt. Love the one you did for your grandson.

charity-crafter 06-06-2011 04:01 PM

Irishrose,
Cool, I'll print this out and try it myself. I'll shoot you a PM if I get stuck. Thanks so much.

blueangel 06-06-2011 06:15 PM

Beautiful

Pickles 06-06-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
A tutorial?? This was only my third quilt and I didn't have a pattern.

I had made a Friendship Star using the quilterscache.com directions when I ran short a block on my first quilt, so I knew how to do one. For A's quilt, I cut 2 1/2" strips from various fabrics, sewed them together and cut 8 1/2" blocks from the strips. I cut white sashing strips 8 1/2" and added a HST to each end (Flop a 2 1/2 square of the star fabric on the end, draw a line from corner to corner diagonally. Sew on the line, trim off excess.) Be sure the diagonal line angles in the same direction on both ends (ask me how I know). Some of the corners got 2 1/2" blocks added for the center of the star. This is where the design wall came in handy. My mind said to put white strips on all four sides of the block. Not! Alternate the direction the stripes in the blocks go as you put them up on the wall. Add the narrow color border, the wider border, quilt and bind. It was easy to quilt. SITD on the some of the lines, them FMQ in each box. I did waves, stars, meandering, a heart, etc. Each block was different ( I have a short attention span.)

I will be glad to answer any questions if you PM me.

Beautiful Quilt I;m saving your pattern to make one myself once I get enough Strips saved to make it, thank you for sharing it :-D

christina d 06-07-2011 02:56 AM

All that work you should be proud of yourself they are beautiful