Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on taking sewing machine on a plane (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-taking-sewing-machine-plane-t250040.html)

SuzieQuilts 07-13-2014 02:51 AM

Update on taking sewing machine on a plane

A few months ago, I posted here about taking a sewing machine on a plane. After great advice from this site, and a twist of fate, I decided against it. I am house sitting for my sister that lives in Las Vegas, and have another sister that lives 3 hours away from her. That sister, purchased a sewing machine from a friend of mine this spring in the town that I live in. She said that I could sew on it and she would pick it up that weekend when she drives over to see me. After seeing a commercial from UPS, I decided to send it that way. It cost $93 to ship it a little over 1,000 miles, but they packed it, and insured it. It did arrive, and in a few weeks I will find out what shape it is in. It does seem pricy, but the airline I am taking even charges for carry on, and then often tells you that you have to check it, and this way I don't have to lug it around the airport. Did I mention I will have five days of sewing with no worries like house cleaning, cooking, dishes, laundry, or anything else that keeps us from doing what we love. I just have a dog and cat to take care of. I will let this board know how the sewing machine fared its long trip.

eparys 07-13-2014 03:19 AM

Sounds wonderful - enjoy. I shipped my daughter my old machine via UPS - it arrived perfectly.

ManiacQuilter2 07-13-2014 03:19 AM

I have even heard that people who travel a lot often send their luggage by Fed Ex. I am just happy that my flying days are over. I think this is a better idea than not knowing at the gate if you can bring it on board. And especially that UPS will packed it and insure it!! Some for all quilter's to think about.

QuiltingVagabond 07-13-2014 04:43 AM

$93 for a week of sewing bliss sounds like a bargain to me!

Jeanne S 07-13-2014 04:49 AM

Glad to hear the update. Hope it arrives safely and you have a wonderful week!!

citruscountyquilter 07-13-2014 11:37 AM

With the added costs that airlines charge any more shipping ahead has become quite common. Hotels are also very accommodating in accepting packages for those on vacation. My daughter-in-law is an artist and participates in shows where she flies and always ships her display units and other things ahead of time. When my mother-in-law spent the winter months in Florida we shipped her things ahead so when she flew down all she had to worry about was herself and not any luggage. The last time I was shipping a package at FedEx the gentleman ahead of me was shipping his golf clubs to a resort. I'm sure UPS and FedEx have seen their business in this area increase.

origamigoldfish 07-14-2014 02:24 PM

My mother occasionally flies across the country to visit her sister for up to a month at a time. After a bout of lost luggage she only takes a large purse with a few essentials in it, and we put everything else in a box and send it UPS or Fedex. Depending on the weight, it's not any more expensive than checking a suitcase, and it gets there on time, every time! She says it makes navigating airports much less stressful without having to manhandle a suitcase or two.

ILoveToQuilt 07-14-2014 03:39 PM

$93...cheaper than a quilt retreat! Enjoy your time in Las Vegas!

Doggramma 07-14-2014 03:56 PM

I was one of the ones who took a machine on a carry-on a few years ago. Sounds like you did the right thing. The way they've changed everything, you probably can 't take it on anymore! Although at first they thought mine was a "breathing machine" so it was all right with them. Anyway, $93 isn't bad for getting your machine where it needs to be.

twinkie 07-15-2014 02:48 AM

Enjoy yourself with nothing to do but feed the fur babies and quilt. Great retreat.