Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   upper thread breakage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/upper-thread-breakage-t26098.html)

quiltbible 09-26-2009 11:07 PM

i am having problems with upper thread breakage. the upper and lower tension is great but after quilting about 30in, i get breakage. i changed my needle, thread and clean out machine. please help me solve this problems?

terry :cry:

patricej 09-27-2009 12:23 AM

it sounds like your thread is catching on somthing as it passes through the machine.

check the way the spool is loaded. if you're using thread on a standard spool, it could be catching on the little notch that holds the tail in place when it comes from the factory, or on a rough spot somewhere else on the spool's edge. try flipping it the other way or smooting all the edges with an emory board.

also check the whole path through which you thread the top. that may need cleaning, too.

tlrnhi 09-27-2009 02:05 AM

I"m thinking it's what Patrice said.
I've learned to put a dab of glue over that notch. Have had thread break too many times, especially when winding bobbins.

BellaBoo 09-27-2009 06:57 AM

If you use the spools that have the notch/slit for the thread ends, smoothing the edges of the spool end with a nail file will help a lot. Check the manual for correct threading. No matter if you have threaded the machine for years, it could be one tiny thing you missed.

Prism99 09-27-2009 07:58 AM

Also, did you change the bobbin before this problem started?

Someone gave me a machine that worked fine, and then suddenly started doing what you have described. They had replaced the plastic bobbin with another plastic bobbin that was actually meant for a different machine. They looked very similar.

Someone else on the forum had this happen after she replaced her machine's metal bobbin with a universal plastic bobbin. Switching back to the metal bobbin fixed the problem.

AtHomeSewing 09-27-2009 08:05 AM

Are you sure that your needle is the correct size for the thread you are using?

joeyoz 09-27-2009 10:30 AM

Are you using the thread holder on the machine or a thread stand? I discovered that if I use the thread holder on the machine, it sometimes gets wrapped around the end of the spool and gets stuck. It can't unwind anymore and breaks. I use a thread stand all the time now because of that.

quiltbible 09-27-2009 03:14 PM

Thank you all for all your suggestions. After a good night sleep, I decided to give my machine one last cleaning before it goes off to the shop. I took off the cover to check and clean my upper tension again. This time, I followed my thread as it went through all the twist and turns of threading. I discovered there was a big piece of lint hidden in one of the tension area (not sure how I missed that...lol). Again, I thank you all for coming to my rescue :thumbup:

Tea :D

joeyoz 09-27-2009 03:17 PM

Just glad you found the culprit. LOL

Originally Posted by quiltbible
Thank you all for all your suggestions. After a good night sleep, I decided to give my machine one last cleaning before it goes off to the shop. I took off the cover to check and clean my upper tension again. This time, I followed my thread as it went through all the twist and turns of threading. I discovered there was a big piece of lint hidden in one of the tension area (not sure how I missed that...lol). Again, I thank you all for coming to my rescue :thumbup:

Tea :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shemjo 09-27-2009 03:21 PM

This forum is great for suggestions, and isn't it wonderful to be able to breathe and fix it yourself! :lol: