Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   US versus Canadian Pricing..Today's "Deal" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/us-versus-canadian-pricing-todays-deal-t295223.html)

Tricky 03-04-2018 11:40 AM

I just used a 40% off coupon at Michaels for batting for a friend and received another 40 % coupon with my receipt.

charley26 03-04-2018 12:06 PM

I am really interested to find out if all of your quilting fabric (and other fabrics) are printed/made in the US? If so, there must be a lot of import and/or export tax/ custom tax on your fabric to account for the difference in prices in US/ Canada/ UK and other countries

QuiltE 03-04-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 8015416)
.......... Sassylass, can you share the name of the husband and wife operated LQS? I'm wondering if it is the same one I use.

Oh please do share ..... I'm always up for finding new bricks and mortar stores! :)

I've been trying to think of one with a husband and wife.
The only one I have come up with are the Knorr's at Creekbank Sewing near Conn.

charley26 03-04-2018 12:13 PM

I accept that post and packaging will add to costs, and, I have never ever been the recipient of a 40%, 50%, or higher coupon here in the UK. There are fabric sales, but these will be restricted, so, not on all fabric in the shop.

Faintly Artistic 03-04-2018 12:30 PM

Just looked up the exchange rate for today. $15 CA is $11.64 US. You are buying by the meter which is 1.09361 yards. My local fabric store charges about this for batiks for a yard. So, the price actually works out to be pretty similar. I don't shop LQS because of price. Do you have any discount sources there? I have a warehouse type place that I can get designer quilt fabrics for $4/yard USD. Wouldn't be quilting if I had to pay full price for everything.

Faintly Artistic 03-04-2018 12:35 PM

If you are close enough to the border, could you get a PO box at a nearby post office and have your items shipped there then pick them up? Might be cheaper...

gmcsewer 03-05-2018 03:31 PM

not tariffs from us to Canada as most fabric is made in China and would e imported from there I would think

ILoveToQuilt 03-05-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 8015378)
This may be the reason we see New Brunswick tour busses at our local Marden's store. They hit all the Marden's that carry fabric and go home with a nice haul at much reduced prices. Marden's is in Maine for all of you "from away".

Always a lot of cars from NB at all the stores in the Presque Isle/Caribou area. We have Marden's and Walmart in P.I. that sell fabric (next door to each other) and then there is a small LQS in Houlton, Maine (name escapes me at the moment). I love my Marden's and can't wait to move to Maine full-time! (Not just for Marden's...love Maine in general. LOL)

ILoveToQuilt 03-05-2018 03:55 PM

I guess I am in the minority...I love to shop at Fabricville in New Brunswick. So many different fabrics than I can get here in the US. I try to go up on Black Friday when they have their 1/2 off entire store sale.

Garden Gnome 03-05-2018 08:31 PM

I was told that clothing in the US is very much cheaper than it is in the UK. And in the UK gasoline is much higher. Considering everything, I would think the overall costs of living (and having fun) are about equal with us here in the US, with you in Canada and the UK. We pay a lot more for meds and health care, but a lot less for other things.