Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To use batt or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/use-batt-not-t34713.html)

Baloonatic 01-21-2010 08:52 AM

I need to make a baby quilt for a friend. I suggested a rag quilt but she doesn't want that as it will be used on the ground outside and stuff could get caught in the fringe. She likes the Yellow Brick Road pattern and wants a lot of denim fabric in it. I think a good cotton instead of flannels for the rest of the fabrics as they don't stretch and shrink as much, and they have so much greater selection of prints. Also, I'm thinking Warm & Natural for the batt, but I don't want it to get too heavy with all the denim fabric. What are your thoughts please?

dakotamaid 01-21-2010 09:07 AM

I personally wouldn't use a batting if the quilt has denim in it. If you pair denim with a similar weight for the other blocks it will be heavy enough. I would just back it with a heavy cotton or broadcloth and machine quilt. Especially if it is going to be used outside alot. Just my thoughts! :D

Quiltsbybarb 01-21-2010 11:04 AM

I still use a really light weight batting in this type of quilt. I just don't think it feels like a quilt without the batting.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-21-2010 12:33 PM

I don't think you will need batting.

littlehud 01-21-2010 07:17 PM

I think it would be to heavy with batting.

CrystalKicks 01-21-2010 08:23 PM

Ive used flannel as a batting, makes it just warm enough without the thick feeling....

ladygen 01-21-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by CrystalKicks
Ive used flannel as a batting, makes it just warm enough without the thick feeling....

:thumbup:

Tiffany 01-21-2010 09:38 PM

Since it is going to be a picnic quilt and not something to snuggle under, I wouldn't bother with a batting.

ConnieF 01-22-2010 03:06 AM

I am with one of the other ladies here I have used flannel for batting but you do have to pre wash or it will shrink unless you want that look. If you are makeing a rag quilt out of flannel you do not pre wash the flannel... in fact it is better if you don't.
I use flannel for a thin bat for vets and light weight jackets I do not want real warm or bulk.

Tiffany 01-22-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
I am with one of the other ladies here I have used flannel for batting but you do have to pre wash or it will shrink unless you want that look. If you are makeing a rag quilt out of flannel you do not pre wash the flannel... in fact it is better if you don't.
I use flannel for a thin bat for vets and light weight jackets I do not want real warm or bulk.

I use Warm & Natural when I only want a thin batting that isn't very warm. I know, I know, it's Warm & Natural, but it isn't very warm. I used to use it all the time in quilts I made when living in the Mojave Desert & it makes the perfect summer weight quilt. Of course, when it's 120F or higher outside, there is no such thing as a summer weight quilt! :lol: