Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Use of Empty Plastic Thead Spools??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/use-empty-plastic-thead-spools-t174274.html)

Caroline S 01-03-2012 07:56 AM

Use of Empty Plastic Thead Spools???

I am sure that there is a good use for empty plastic thead spools other than tossing them in the trash. Need some good ideas.

misscarol 01-03-2012 08:31 AM

I give mine to our local schools 3rd grade class. I have no idea what she does with them, but is always excited to get a bunch :) Ask around, maybe the art teacher would like them!

sewmorethings 01-03-2012 08:32 AM

The serger thread spools make cute angles. I would put a picture on here but i gave them as gifts last year and of coure i don't have one for myself. Use a wooden ball for the head, glue doll hair on, make a halo out of gold pipecleaner, you can either paint a face on the wooden ball or leave it plain, you may even be able to buy them with the face on, i know you can for the small ones, then a just made a dress and glued wings on that i bought. At the neckline i glued gold ribbon and a gold bow to dress it up. I din't put any hands on them but it would be easy to do with the arms you can buy in the craft stores. Don't have any ideas for regular size spools and will watch to see what others suggest for them.

Briarberry 01-03-2012 09:09 AM

My cats usually swipe them as soon as I set them down. They love batting them around. I also teach kindergarten and take them to school for the craft centre. They make necklaces etc out of them. One day some of the boys took some over to the block area and added them to their "fort". My advice, find a teacher, she'll do something with them.

MoanaWahine 01-03-2012 09:26 AM

I agree with the Teach/School idea. I started to send them to school with my 9 year old this year. His school also looks for other recycling items. They have a room for all this to be stored in and then the kids get to go "shopping" in the room when it comes to making projects during a variety of classes. Just imagine what a kid would come up with with one of these, some string and a few other items... It makes my brain hurt when thinking about it :shock:

johanka 01-03-2012 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MoanaWahine (Post 4837906)
I agree with the Teach/School idea. I started to send them to school with my 9 year old this year. His school also looks for other recycling items. They have a room for all this to be stored in and then the kids get to go "shopping" in the room when it comes to making projects during a variety of classes. Just imagine what a kid would come up with with one of these, some string and a few other items... It makes my brain hurt when thinking about it :shock:

I will be coming there in a week. Don't hurt your brain to much. I will need it so we can get into lots of trouble.:D Moanawahine's mom

deedum 01-03-2012 04:30 PM

our local nursery school wants them for some reason

kiesh 01-03-2012 04:38 PM

I'm currently in school to be a teacher (Graduate in May!) I never thought of keeping my spools, but now that you mention it, it's a great idea!! Thanks!

Kim Bohannon 01-03-2012 04:40 PM

my kids love playing with them, and they stack so nicely! I haven't tried to find any crafts for them yet

sewbeadit 01-03-2012 04:43 PM

I also made a fiberart/beaded doll using a serger cone. Turned out great and sat right up.

Originally Posted by sewmorethings (Post 4837754)
The serger thread spools make cute angles. I would put a picture on here but i gave them as gifts last year and of coure i don't have one for myself. Use a wooden ball for the head, glue doll hair on, make a halo out of gold pipecleaner, you can either paint a face on the wooden ball or leave it plain, you may even be able to buy them with the face on, i know you can for the small ones, then a just made a dress and glued wings on that i bought. At the neckline i glued gold ribbon and a gold bow to dress it up. I din't put any hands on them but it would be easy to do with the arms you can buy in the craft stores. Don't have any ideas for regular size spools and will watch to see what others suggest for them.