Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Use for polyester material. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/use-polyester-material-t141903.html)

grannylou 08-01-2011 01:48 PM

My sister in law was helpful in finding me a "bargain" in new material at a yard sale. She was told to load two boxes of what she wanted all for ten dollars! She was so excited. She told them I wanted only new material, which is true. She got a lot of polyester (new) material along with the good cotton. Any ideas? I really am not much interested in it, but am open to suggestions. There are several large pieces, besides many smaller ones. Prints and solids. Thanks.

BarbaraSue 08-01-2011 01:50 PM

You can make blankets like the tied fleece ones with two layers and give to homeless shelters. That fabric will be around forever, but it is warm.

GGinMcKinney 08-01-2011 01:51 PM

Are the solids a poly knit? I recently saw a rug made of knit. It was so cute. I googled and found a pattern. On my to do list.
I wouldn't hesitate to make tablerunners/placemats with a poly as long as it wasn't thin see through type.

bluejeanqueen 08-01-2011 01:54 PM

Are they woven poly/ cotton blends?

grannylou 08-01-2011 02:15 PM

I don't know anything about polyester but most of them are thick. I can take photos if you want of some of them

cmrenno 08-01-2011 02:27 PM

I recently saw a rug made of knit. It was so cute. I googled and found a pattern.

Could you please share the site for the pattern that you found for the rug.

Thanks,
Colleen

Tink's Mom 08-01-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by grannylou
My sister in law was helpful in finding me a "bargain" in new material at a yard sale. She was told to load two boxes of what she wanted all for ten dollars! She was so excited. She told them I wanted only new material, which is true. She got a lot of polyester (new) material along with the good cotton. Any ideas? I really am not much interested in it, but am open to suggestions. There are several large pieces, besides many smaller ones. Prints and solids. Thanks.

You can use the polyester fabrics in a quilt. You just don't want to mix with 100% cotton. I think that it would be fine for some donation quilts, but I don't think Quilts for Kids will accept it. They have lots of rules.

jmabby 08-01-2011 02:41 PM

I would take it to the thrift shop

GingerK 08-01-2011 03:05 PM

My sister makes the cutest rugs from polyester that we used to call Fortrell. She cuts the poly into squares--lots and lots of squares. Then she folds each one into a triangle and sews down the center, adding a second triangle about half way along and then a third and so on. Then she takes a piece of heavy canvas and cuts an oval or heart or whatever. She draws concentric lines on it, starting at the center and working outward. I think the lines are about 1-2 inches apart. She also finishes the edges of the canvas so that they won't fray. Now she takes that long strip of poly triangles and, following her origional seam, sews it to the canvas. The points stick up and make a lovely soft rug.

crafty gal 08-01-2011 03:08 PM

Quilts for homeless shelters, woman's shelters and animal shelters