Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/use-stash-fabric-moratorium-t206795.html)

frustratedquilter40 11-25-2012 11:14 AM

Yeah just what I needed some friends to help me stick to a fabric diet. I am in on this can't wait no need to go shopping have enough to last a lifetime. Only have 16 UFO's if nothing else at least get these finished up.:thumbup:

Belfrybat 11-25-2012 11:28 AM

I could commit to a 75% use from stash, but as a relatively new quilter, I have too many gaps to use only from the stash for the whole year. But it is amazing how much fabric I have purchased in less than a year. Mostly on sale, but still...

jcrow 11-25-2012 11:43 AM

I'm up for the challenge, but I have to buy some fabrics for a BOM that I'm starting. So, after that, I'll give it my best shot. I have over 20 quilt kits already plus tons of fabric (whole fabric lines, i.e. layer cake, jelly roll, charm pack, fat quarter bundle, yardage of a couple of my favorite fabrics from the line) so I really don't NEED to buy anything except maybe binding, batting or backing. Let's see how long I last.

CanukNana 11-25-2012 12:13 PM

Well I've always been told we learn from our failures, So count me in and I'll really try. Either way I'll learn something.:thumbup:

kyquiltlover1942 11-25-2012 12:29 PM

Count me in. Made it this year (2012) except for 2 fat quarters and one yard to finish a border. Now yesterday was a different story. Went to Joann's to stock up on solid colors. i was running real low. With that said, I am more than willing to commit to another year of NO shopping, except for those purchases mentioned in the rules. I will now place my right hand on my Phaff 1475 and take the oath.

carolynjo 11-25-2012 12:59 PM

I'm in too. I haven't bought major yardage in a few years. I am using up my stash which is really short yardage, so I am seeing scrappy yardage in my future. I sew and sew but the stash grows and multiplies overnight--honest!

meanmom 11-25-2012 01:08 PM

Good idea. I have been doing this for the last year. I did ok. I bought a lot less than usual. I am just finishing up the 50 fabulous paper pieced stars group. I bought background fabric but did the rest from my stash. I am also making the back from my stash also. I have been trying to buy as little as possible. I am going to start doing the New York Beauty group totally from my stash too. I have tons of fabric I was given and from yard sales. Most of that fabric isn't in my tastes so I use it for donation quilts. Good luck to everyone.

luci4 11-25-2012 01:23 PM

I'll try it, but will probably fail. Would be really good if I could stay away from fabric stores.

JoanneS 11-25-2012 01:31 PM

I've been on a moratorium for a little over a year, and it hasn't made a noticeable dent in my stash! A friend gave me a BUNCH of fab to make a quilt for her, and it was enough for 2 with fab leftover, so now she has the beginning of a stash (and I have a few bits & pieces in my stash). I'll post the picture of the 2nd (already posted the 1st) when I finish unpacking - I'm a snowbird and just arrived in AZ. I'm in the process of designing my next quilt - from my stash of course!

When I look at the price of fab in Keepsake and Connecting I choke. I may stay on my moratorium forever!

quilt9226 11-25-2012 01:37 PM

I'm in and actually already started. I did not buy any fabric at any Black Friday sales and would never need to buy fabric again in my lifetime. I did buy a bolt of flannel for use by the nonprofit I am part of but that is going out of my house in early December and I will not see it until it comes back in baby quilts for me to quilt.