Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used Baby Lock-should I buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-baby-lock-should-i-buy-t252390.html)

susan q 08-24-2014 05:39 AM

Used Baby Lock-should I buy?

I am looking for a new/newer machine and a quilting store by me has a Baby Lock Serenade with a very large extension table for around $800. A little on line research reveals that they no longer make that machine and it may be 3 years old. Unknown. How used is it? Unknown. It has nice bells and whistles such as needle up/down, auto thread cutter, etc--stuff that may be considered standard now. I am currently sewing on a $50 old Singer that hubbie bought for me on good old Ebay, it sews but it's sort of like the "rent-a-wreck" of machines. Temperamental tension, stitch length that moves by itself, sounds like a freight train, etc. This machine DOES come with a supposed "like new" warranty from the quilt store and the opportunity to trade up and receive full credit . Don't want to spend thousands and "Financing Available" is a turn off to me. If I'm financing, I'm driving it...I have a HUGE stash and want to treat myself to a nicer machine. Opinions vary wildly on machine preferences and on line is almost TMI. So what do you think?

Jeanne S 08-24-2014 05:47 AM

I am not familiar with that machine but I love my little Babylock Audrey. I think Babylock makes a good quality machine and the price doesn't sound bad since it has a warranty. You might look on eBay or other online shops to price compare that model or a similar model just to be sure.

sewbizgirl 08-24-2014 05:50 AM

Have the shop owner let you test it out by sewing on it for an hour or so... or maybe taking it home over the weekend? Then you will know if you love it or not.

nabobw 08-24-2014 05:53 AM

I have a diamond, which was used, I bought from my Viking dealer at half or more of the cost of a new one. Any time I trade up I get a gently used machine as I trust the dealer I am buying from.

Mdegenhart 08-24-2014 05:56 AM

I'm a big fan of used machines that have been gone over by the repairman at the sewing center I frequent. Got my Janome MC6600p for $350 & it has been great.

ManiacQuilter2 08-24-2014 07:45 AM

I would do some research on what they are selling for on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...chine&_sacat=0

Just make sure it is the type of DSM you want to keep for a long time. It is just like when you buy a car. Do your homework and be sure she will let you bring something in to test drive the Baby Lock. Seems like a good price. Make sure she will help you get familiarize with the the Baby Loc and what exactly the warranty is she is offering. Good Luck !!

Melinda in Tulsa 08-24-2014 08:50 AM

I have the Serenade and have been very happy with it. I bought mine in 2011. Make sure you sew on it and really check it out.

vondae 08-24-2014 04:08 PM

I have a Babylock Serenade and I love it. I bought it new about 2 1/2 yrs. ago. I haven't had a minutes problem. I did go for the classes from the dealer, but, found that the owners manual has been my best friend. I have a terrible memory, so forgot 80-90 % of what they taught me. I feel it is a fairly simple machine to work & has held up to all kinds of fabric, thicknesses & the constant sewing I put it through.
If it has been taken care of I think you would be happy with it. I use many of the bells & whistles with great success.
Make sure you sew on it. Checking out the bobbin area will give you an indicator as to how the machine has been taken care of. If it is clean-great, if it's full of lint, fuzz & thread, I would have it checked by a professional sewing machine tech, might want to anyway.
Hope a new girl comes to live with you soon.
I give mine a :thumbup:

Cybrarian 08-24-2014 07:35 PM

I have a Baby Lock Unity (bought the floor model) and a BL Elizabeth. LOVE them both!!!!

jeanne49 08-24-2014 07:59 PM

I have the BabyLock Espire, which is now called Symphony. When the Symphony came out I kept looking at it and thought to myself that it looked just like the Espire, so I asked my dealer. He told me that they did indeed change the name, but the Symphony did not come with the detachable thread table with the telescoping thread lead but it did come with more stitches, which I don't even use the ones on the machine now. I love my Espire and have no plans of giving it up. I have a great dealer and I think that is the key point when getting a machine, whether new or used. A lot of people can afford to trade up on a regular basis so there is always a good selection of used machines at great prices.