Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-blades-t18413.html)

peaceandjoy 04-01-2009 02:59 PM

:?:
Since rotary cutting tools are on sale at J's this week (40%off), and I didn't have any spare 45mm blades, I decided to stop and get a couple. They were just under $10 each (regular price). As I was waiting for batting to be cut, I noticed 5-packs in their lock-up case - 5 for $31. That's like getting two free!! So of course, I bought the multi-pack.

Here's my dilemma, though. When I bought them in the single pack, I had a convenient case to dispose of the used blade. Yes, I probably should have been recycling the case, but I'd rather have that blade, used though it was, in the trash with that protection around it. Now, having bought the 5-pack - what is the best way to dispose of used blades safely?

My tip for needles is to put them in a used medicine bottle, labled of course, adn toss that every now and again for a new empty one.

Shadow Dancer 04-01-2009 03:01 PM

I have a coffee can that I cut a hole in the top and marked it clearly "Sharps" and my used needles and blades go in it. When I need to dispose of the can I take it to the hospital and they get rid of it with their sharps containers for me. :)

*twin:mami* 04-01-2009 03:45 PM

mints like altoids come in a round tin. works perfect!

Hope this helps :D

Jim's Gem 04-01-2009 04:01 PM

I use the blade package but just don't throw it away each time. I fill it up, you can put lots of blades in one of those packages. Also, once you are done with it for fabrics they are great for a paper cutter, some paper cutters use these blades or you can just use an old handle, just mark the blade as a "paper" blade

sewjoyce 04-01-2009 06:30 PM

I use a small glass jar (presently this jar used to contain pickle relish). When it gets part way full or I find another "pretty" jar, I'll toss it in the trash.

thimblebug6000 04-01-2009 06:53 PM

The blades can be re-sharpened time and time again too, if you can find a local person willing to do it, or someone reasonably priced on the internet. ( I have one of the little "tools" that work okay, not fantastic, but okay for a few months)

littlehud 04-01-2009 07:07 PM

Love the idea of taking them to the hospital for disposal. Never would have thought of that. I put mine in a glass jar. Next time I will take them to the hospital with me.

pocoellie 04-01-2009 08:04 PM

I order my blades from House of Hanson.com, Olfa's pack of 10 are $32.00(last time I ordered) and there's no shipping and handling, you can also send your old blades to them and they recycle them, but they do require them to be in one of the containers that you buy them in, you can fit 10 in one of those containers.

gcathie 04-01-2009 08:09 PM

I have a larger pill cantainer mine fit right into and a I mark used blades.....

Cookn 04-02-2009 01:17 AM

I take a large pair of pliers and break them in half and then encase them in masking tape and chunk them.