Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used Desk for Sewing??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-desk-sewing-t310536.html)

quilting cat 04-15-2020 10:46 AM

Having an adjustable height (office type) chair will help you sit comfortably whatever height your machine is at the desk. The desk drawers can be assigned contents such as needles and attachments, thread and bobbins, etc.

GEMRM 04-15-2020 04:19 PM

I have an old arborite topped desk that came from a bank originally. Gifted to me via an older friend who has since passed away.
Much sentimental attachment, but if this desk didn't work for me I would have something else for my sewing machine. It's sturdy and can support the weight of my machine (27 pounds), large work area, and a few drawers down one side for my threads. I would not give this desk up easily!

jhoward 04-16-2020 07:32 AM

I bought a child's desk at an auction, about 35 years ago. It has served me well as a sewing desk. It's low, which for me is a plus. My kids bought me a Sauder sewing cabinet, I use it, but it sits up high. My short stature makes it challenging to use. I just needed to get over that height.

HettyB 04-17-2020 09:20 AM

One of my domestic machines is in an old kitchen table I bought off a second hand furniture stall for £15. It had one drawer which was accessed from the table end..

We made a cardboard template of the footprint of my machine and its insert. Traced round the template on the table top using a sharpie marker then cut a hole in the top to recess my machine. The drawer runners were like a cradle and we put the off cut from the top on the drawer runners to support and raise my machines and its perspex insert flush with the table top. The table top had a rounded profile and rounded corners so the quilts or whatever I am sewing does not catch.

The drawer runner area has been left open underneath for easy access for the power cable, foot pedal and cleaning.

The table had been used as an artists table and bloke had polyurethaned it to a super high gloss to repel paint. Well, quilt tops and fabric slide just like an ice rink (I wish my handi-quilter table was the same!)

The only tools required - a hand-held electronic jigsaw and a drill with a spade drill bit. The spade drill bit shaped the rounded edges for the perspex insert.

I use elephant feet risers to make the table tall enough for me to sit comfortably.

Expenditure was minimal and it was simple enough for me to do by myself although I was able to rope a friend in to do it for me in exchange for a meal and a beer!

QuiltnLady1 04-21-2020 03:38 PM

I had an old desk that I had modified so my machine could drop in and the cut out was big enough that if I wanted to sew free arm I could. I loved this desk - I could put the 24x36 cutting mat on it as well. When we moved I have no room for it and OH how I have missed it. You can definitely use it.