Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used wrong color thread in piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-wrong-color-thread-piecing-t246684.html)

jcrow 05-12-2014 09:55 AM

Used wrong color thread in piecing

I just finished a very dark flannel quilt. I was ironing the top and using the lint brush on it when I noticed that my 'white' Prescencia thread was showing in a few places. I never thought to change from my white thread on a huge cone that I always use to a darker color. Now what do I do? I have about 10 stitches showing on the top. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but black flannel and white thread look awful together. Any suggestions?

kristakz 05-12-2014 09:57 AM

Black fabric paint. (Some say BIC marker, but fabric paint seems safer). Just enough to tone the white down is all you need. Dab it on the thread that show and no one will ever be the wiser.

Krista

Peckish 05-12-2014 10:09 AM

Once you wash it, the threads and fabrics will tighten up a bit, and you probably won't be able to see it.

VOE - Voice Of Experience. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :thumbup:

Tartan 05-12-2014 10:16 AM

I used grey thread in my Spiderwebb quilt because of variety of scraps however the centers were black. I ended up using a Sharpie to colour the threads in all those spots. It wasn't really noticeable until the quilting kind of separated the seams. I know it will relax when washed but I carefully coloured the threads until I wash it because it really bugged me. Try a black Sharpie on a couple of scraps sewn together and see if it will work for you.

nannyrick 05-12-2014 10:17 AM

I have used PERMANAENT fabric markers to rectify these problems in embroidery and quilting.
Even after washing, it will not show.Make sure it is dry before washing.

Terri D. 05-12-2014 10:28 AM

Find an ultra fine point permanent marking pen in a color that matches the dark flannel as closely as possible and carefully color the stitches that show by dotting them with the tip of the pen.

MadQuilter 05-12-2014 10:31 AM

I've had that happen and after the quilt was quilted and washed, I was not able to find those offending spots.

FroggyinTexas 05-12-2014 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 6713780)
I just finished a very dark flannel quilt. I was ironing the top and using the lint brush on it when I noticed that my 'white' Prescencia thread was showing in a few places. I never thought to change from my white thread on a huge cone that I always use to a darker color. Now what do I do? I have about 10 stitches showing on the top. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but black flannel and white thread look awful together. Any suggestions?

A black Sharpie will solve your problem. One of my friends, a professional designer and quilter, uses them frequently. No one will ever know the difference unless you tell them. froggyintexas

ManiacQuilter2 05-12-2014 11:32 AM

I always used my Pigma Micron markers for coloring any defect in a quilt.

QuiltnNan 05-12-2014 12:26 PM

one day, I picked up a dozen or so box of fabric marker colors... they permanently set when ironed. they have saved me multiple times.