Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uses for single fold bias tape?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uses-single-fold-bias-tape-t284816.html)

KenmoreGal2 12-30-2016 05:41 AM

Uses for single fold bias tape??

I have acquired a lot of single fold bias tape. I've done some internet searching and have found a few uses for it but I'd like to learn more. Currently I know that it can be used for the following

1. Garment sewing which I don't do at this point.
2. Finishing the top of a pocket in a bag.
3. Sewn, folded as packaged, directly onto a fabric to serve as an accent.

There must be more I can do with this item!

Thanks!

nativetexan 12-30-2016 05:49 AM

me too, me too. I will watch this post.

tessagin 12-30-2016 06:01 AM

My neighbor uses scraps of it to make large coasters/trivets for hot dishes and some for her plants on ledges. Straps for wall hangings. Small doll quilt bindings. Fur baby beds.

Tartan 12-30-2016 07:28 AM

Binding for pot holders because they don't need double fold binding like quilts. Ties of baby bibs and spaghetti straps for little girls dresses. If you have green, bias stems for applique. Loops on baby taggie toys. Use for QAYG quilt blocks on the back to cover the joins. Appliquéd to coloured squares of fabric to kind of make the modern sticks pattern. Use it to edge book marks. Use it to edge zippers so they can be sewn on top of fabric rather then inserted into the edge.

KenmoreGal2 12-30-2016 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7728983)
Binding for pot holders because they don't need double fold binding like quilts. Loops on baby taggie toys.

There are some great ideas so far! Thanks.

I have questions about the 2 I quoted. Most of my single fold bias tape is 1/2". A potholder would be a bit thick with the batting. How would one apply the bias tape to that? Would I do it in the typical manner where I sew it to the back and then fold the entire thing to the front? It seems that would be mighty thick.

Also with the tags. If I leave it as is, the edges will ravel right? So I'd have to sew it onto itself and then it's only 1/4" wide. Is that what you meant?

Tartan 12-30-2016 10:25 AM

Bias binding when you open it up has 2 different seam allowance widths. I put the raw edge of the opened up binding against the raw edge of the sandwich, sew and then flip it to the back and top stitch on the other folded edge. To make loops, I leave it folded and top stitch along the length for 1/4 inch wide strip. The sewn strip can then be made into loops. Keep in mind also that you can make the loops continuous (ribbon candy design) and sew across them all at once in the seam allowance.

Jane Quilter 12-30-2016 10:41 AM

I've use single fold bias tape as arm hole and neck facings on lightweight cotton dresses, and as a casing for elastic in sleeves, and the waist of dresses.

Bree123 12-30-2016 11:11 AM

Works as a cute flange -- either with the raw edge caught in the binding, or with the raw edges free so it frays, producing a fuzzy edge (that works better with some fabrics than others).

KenmoreGal2 12-30-2016 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7729119)
Bias binding when you open it up has 2 different seam allowance widths. I put the raw edge of the opened up binding against the raw edge of the sandwich, sew and then flip it to the back and top stitch on the other folded edge. To make loops, I leave it folded and top stitch along the length for 1/4 inch wide strip. The sewn strip can then be made into loops. Keep in mind also that you can make the loops continuous (ribbon candy design) and sew across them all at once in the seam allowance.

Thanks for clarifying!

KenmoreGal2 02-17-2017 09:50 AM

Revisiting this thread because I've just tried to use this seam binding as the drawstring in a bag. I had a bit of difficulty sewing the 1/4" wide seam binding. I started it under my right hand feed dog and set my needle at 1/4" stitch but the fabric kept drifting to the center of my feed dogs which meant it no longer moved.

Any hints? Thanks.