Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using 75% poly/25% cotton sheets for quilt backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-75%25-poly-25%25-cotton-sheets-quilt-backing-t176702.html)

betsymjeff 01-23-2012 01:30 PM

Using 75% poly/25% cotton sheets for quilt backing

Have a question for anyone out there. Is it okay to use poly/cotton sheets for backing a quilt. I bought some at a yard sale and then realized they were not 100% cotton. Now what do I do with them?????

Betty

Shelbie 01-23-2012 01:33 PM

Use them. I've used poly/cotton sheets for quilt backings for years. They quilt, wash and wear well. I wouldn't use them on my daughter's wedding quilt but they will be absolutely fine on those quilts that will get hard wear and lots of washing.

jaciqltznok 01-23-2012 01:34 PM

you can use them, but they are hard to quilt through! also if you have not washed your cottons in the top, it will shrink and the back won't!
use them for covering plants, drop clothes, etc.
PS..you have a lovely guild in Cushing!

betsymjeff 01-23-2012 01:38 PM

Thanks Jacquie. We have almost 50 members now. We have a great time. I do all my quilting on my sewing machine so that would not be a problem. I feel better now.

deemail 01-23-2012 02:58 PM

i do this all the time for me.... customers don't like it... but remember when we all like to look at the back of the quilt... it shows the quilting stitches so much better than the front? that's because the backs used to be universally muslin which is softer than quilting cotton.... make the back a poly/cotton sheet and now the front is softer and ALL the best stitching shows up best on the front.... very few people will believe this... but i choose to do mine this way for this reason...

QuiltnNan 01-23-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by deemail (Post 4903557)
i do this all the time for me.... customers don't like it... but remember when we all like to look at the back of the quilt... it shows the quilting stitches so much better than the front? that's because the backs used to be universally muslin which is softer than quilting cotton.... make the back a poly/cotton sheet and now the front is softer and ALL the best stitching shows up best on the front.... very few people will believe this... but i choose to do mine this way for this reason...

this is very interesting. i never would have thought of that :)

gayle bong 01-23-2012 06:18 PM

Some poly cottons are pretty soft. I'd certainly use them for machine quilted backs. Its the hand quilting that could be difficult if you use a sheet.

GingerK 01-23-2012 07:33 PM

I always wash all my fabrics--including the poly cotton backings that I use. Two reasons--shrinkage and bleeding. Seveal quilts ago, I needed a piece of blue for a backing and could only match it in a poly broadcloth. Thank goodness I washed it first because that sucker bled like a stuck pig and would have ruined my beautiful quilt on the first washing. Yes, I mix polycotton and 100% cotton but EVERYTHING gets washed first!!

BETTY62 01-23-2012 07:38 PM

I have used them as backing and they work.

betsymjeff 01-24-2012 04:56 AM

Thanks everyone. I love this site. Don't do alot of posting, BUT I do alot of reading. Need to get to quilting now. LOL