Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a bed sheet for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-bed-sheet-backing-t40242.html)

Up North 03-23-2010 06:58 AM

I hand quilt them without a problem I use the 200 count sheets, Maybe the higher thread count ones would be harder to quilt through but I have never had a problem.

bstanbro 03-23-2010 07:16 AM

When I was a teenager, I used two flat sheets to make great comforters. I had to pry my husband's from his fingers this winter when it was so completely worn out that it wasn't even funny any more. I put two layers of batting between the sheets, and then tied them as you would any quilt. They lasted for decades.

Candace 03-23-2010 07:34 AM

We have an Ikea here, so I"ll have to check out the sheets. I've never considered using a sheet as a backing or in a quilt. But, I bet it would also work great used as foundation fabric for paper piecing. I've got several iron-on patterns needing foundation fabric. I've been very disappointed in the quality of muslin and didn't want to pay big bucks for fabric that wouldn't even see the light of day! A great excuse to run by Ikea:>

3699quilter 03-23-2010 08:15 AM

I've also heard it was a bad idea to use sheets. My long-arm quilter friend said it was very hard to quilt and it will wear faster.

Olivia's Grammy 03-23-2010 08:15 AM

I used sheets when I first started hand quilting, didn't know not to. I didn't have any problems. I've been debating about using sheets again for the backing. I could not find single sheets. Does Target sell the singles or in sets? I usually pieced my backs.
This was a very informative thread.

Lostn51 03-23-2010 08:31 AM

Target carries them in singles all sizes and tons of colors. I was buying King size top sheets for $4 a pop.

I just bought one just to see if I liked the quality and after I compared it to the Kona cotton I was using I went back and bought all of the king size top sheets they had and another Target had. I think I spent around $250 so I am set up for a while. :mrgreen:

Billy

Candace 03-23-2010 08:31 AM

I'm wondering what the typical quilt store fabric thread count is? And if we can buy sheets similar in thread count, why would it be a bad idea? I understand too tight, or high thread count wouldn't be a good thing. But if the sheets are the same fabric quality and thread count as quilt store fabric, I see it as a win-win.

Granny B 03-23-2010 08:58 AM

If the top is 100% cotton and the sheet is 100% cotton there shouldn't be any problem. If the top is a blend, then the sheet should match.

Bevanger 03-23-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by butterjoy
I do that all the time! I also use old blankets for the middle if I cannot buy batting/matting (?) Yep, I am on disability cannot afford buying good stuff.

i hear ya, if not for my angels on here, i couldn't sew. I use fleece or flannel for backing (pieced together) no batting for this girl, BUT my quilts sure are warm.

ToucanSam 03-23-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
BAD idea,with the exception of flannel sheets. The percale sheets have a weave that is so tight that when the needle pierces the fabric, it breaks the threads instead of going between them. You end up with holes in your fabric, which weakens it. You also have holds left if you have to re-do any stitches.

I'll bet there is a lot of flannel sheets on sale this time of year too!