Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Black Fabric (or not) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-black-fabric-not-t111508.html)

Lori S 03-28-2011 01:51 PM

If I really have to use black ( not a fan) I use a ploy cotton blend, it holds color better than the best 100 percent cotton , Yup I know this is not a popular choice, but it is theonly way to get the longest life from a black fabric.
The pet hair is another issue... thats one of the reasons I do not use much black, everyone I know has a dog. So unless its going on the wall, I rarely use it for a bed quilt.

gaigai 03-28-2011 02:05 PM

Maywood Studios Black Magic will NOT fade or bleed. As for cats, well, pet owners wear black clothes. And black and grey cats lie ton white/light quilts. What's the difference?

jillaine 03-28-2011 02:07 PM

thanks for all the great responses. So it sounds like Kona and Maywood Studios may have the best quality black AND that I should not exclude the idea of a poly-cotton blend... mmm... thanks so much everyone.

deema 03-28-2011 02:18 PM

I use black. I like black. I'm making a quilt for my husband that has a completely solid black background with applique on it. If it fades, it fades. Stuff fades, it won't stay perfect forever...but it will be well loved, even if the black isn't true black anymore.

quilter1943 03-28-2011 03:08 PM

I have used a solid black that Keepsake Quilting used to call Amish black. I don't know if they still carry it, but it was excellent and did not fade. Lately with so much black in muted patterns and batik, I haven't used a solid black. They still have it. Just search for Amish Black. It's $6 a yard.

jaciqltznok 03-28-2011 03:10 PM

I use Micheal Miller JET black and it has never faded, even in the sun...I tested a piece before I bought the whole bolt...the Kona faded and turned purple...

quiltingnonie 03-28-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
I have used a solid black that Keepsake Quilting used to call Amish black. I don't know if they still carry it, but it was excellent and did not fade. Lately with so much black in muted patterns and batik, I haven't used a solid black. They still have it. Just search for Amish Black. It's $6 a yard.

I love this product!

ShirlinAZ 03-28-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I use Micheal Miller JET black and it has never faded, even in the sun...I tested a piece before I bought the whole bolt...the Kona faded and turned purple...

This is what I've been using with great results. It has a really deep rich velvet-y look.

jaciqltznok 03-28-2011 04:33 PM

there is supposed to be a NEW double dyed black, but I have not found it yet, not even at my distributors!

jillaine 03-28-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Phew! Good (or not) to hear about the Kona. I almost JUST purchased a solid Kona black jelly roll that was on sale. Decided against it at the last minute. Thanks for this intel.