Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a different colored bobbin thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-different-colored-bobbin-thread-t189451.html)

irishrose 05-19-2012 07:16 PM

Another 301 that doesn't have the problem and I never fiddle with my tension. I also don't worry about thread weight - just color and sheen. Even thread painting the eagle and ducks on my son's quilt, no thread showed on the top or bottom.

But that being said, with another machine, I'd make a quilt sandwich of the same fabric and batting and play with the tension - both the top and the bottom. There has to be a sweet spot, IMO.

Silver Needle 05-19-2012 07:17 PM

Another thing to consider is the thinner the batting the more problems you will have. There is less space for the threads to connect together in the center. I have been working with wall hangings for 2 different clients and used Quilters Dream deluxe weight cotton batting and had good results with different top and bottom thread. Another thing that can make a difference is the thread count of the backing and quilt top fabric. LQS fabric will usually be of a better quality.

Scissor Queen 05-19-2012 07:25 PM

One of the things I've found that helps is to lengthen your stitch. I use different colors and weights more often than not.

GemState 05-19-2012 07:38 PM

Try Bottom Line thread in your bobbin. It is very fine and just melts into the backing. I love it!!

Maggiem 05-19-2012 08:38 PM

I have discovered, through trial and lots of errors, that I get really good results when I use a backing fabric of the same quality and weight as my top. I had always thought it was a question of tension, but now I tend to think it is the backing fabric.

Prism99 05-19-2012 09:32 PM

My Bernina 1230 does everything I want with excellence -- except quilting with a different color bobbin thread than top thread. I will always get dots of one color or the other on the opposite site.

My machine will handle invisible nylon monofilament in the bobbin (I use YLI brand) so, in your situation, I would try that approach. Invisible nylon monofilament requires some special handling, though. For example, you need to wind it onto bobbins slowly so that it does not stretch while being wound. Even with a metal bobbin, it's best to underwind the bobbin. With a plastic bobbin, I would not wind monofilament on more than half-full. This is because it puts tremendous pressure on the bobbin's edges and will distort a bobbin if wound on too tight and too full.

roselady 05-19-2012 10:18 PM

I just started my first machine quilting project! After months of practicing, I finally took the plunge. I am using different color threads in bobbin and top, and nothing is showing at all. I am using 60wt thread in both and using my wonderful old Bernina 910 with no tension adjustments at all. The threads I am using are Mettler and DMC.

Prism99 05-20-2012 08:27 AM

Just realized that the type of batting you use can make a difference in terms of using different colors in top and bobbin. I use a fairly thin batting. It may be easier to "bury" the other color if you use a thicker batting, such as Warm and Natural. Might be worthwhile to experiment with some practice sandwiches using different battings.

HeatherAnne 05-20-2012 03:51 PM

Hello all !!

Thank you so much for all the tips. Everyone is kind and welcoming. Thank you!!

What I ended up doing and it worked PERFECTLY :thumbup: Was the hand wound clear bobbin thread. Winding the bobbin took me a bit to get the handle on it, but.... After a few drops and a couple wrap ups. All was great. Again thank all of you for the kind advice.