Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using double layer of Thermore for handquilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-double-layer-thermore-handquilting-t72974.html)

Blinky 10-29-2010 06:05 AM

I layered a lap quilt for hand quilting using warm and natural wool for batting. Last night I decided to take all my hand quilting stitches out and use a different batting because it was so hard for me to hand quilt using the warm and natural...I also didn't like the fabric that I used for the backing. The did the front in applique using busy fabric for the background and then I used busy fabric for the backing and needless to say it all looked toooooo busy...lol So with the difficulty in hand quilting using the W&N and the busy back I decided to take the quilt apart ....I know I was insane. I did so much work with the applique on the front I wanted to be satisfied with the quilt. Well, the reason I am posting I was wondering if anyone used the Thermore and doubled the thickness since it is like using nothing when using the single thickness. I have wool batting but since it is so expensive I didn't want to cut it up for a lap quilt and use it for my larger quilts...lol I haven't used Thermore batting before....but it looks like it would be great for hand quilting. I bought a bunch of it on sale at Connecting Threads when they had such a good buy on it. Sorry this has been sooooo long. Just wanted to get your opinion ...if there is any drawback as far as doing a double layer of Thermore...will there be any dreaded after effects....sure would hate to rip out my stitches again...lol

dungeonquilter 10-29-2010 08:06 AM

I have never tried this product, but why don't you make a small sample and just give a try.

ckcowl 10-29-2010 09:56 AM

i did not know warm & natural made a wool batting???
i have never heard of anyone having a problem quilting with wool batts, they are usually so wonderful to work with. maybe it is the fabric itself? or your needle is dull? anyway,
i would try a small practice piece with the same fabrics if possible to see if the thermore is better to stitch through. i have only used it a couple times, and then with machine only...and really didn't like it, but it may work for well for what you are doing

Blinky 10-29-2010 10:23 AM

warm and natural doesn't make a wool batting ...it was a typo :o(

so maybe I should break down and use the Hobbs wool batting that I have....I have so much of the Thermore because I thought it would be so good to handquilt with because it is so thin. Do you remember why you didn't like the Thermore...I guess maybe it didn't show the quilt stitches as much because the layers of the quilt weren't as thick?

ckcowl 10-29-2010 10:42 AM

i think that was it, it was just too thin for my purpose, i still think if you have lots of it, make a practice piece and try it, it may be perfect for what you are doing :thumbup: i know some handquilters double up their batting and lots use the mountain mist batts, which i really hate to work with, but they seem to work very well for some with beautiful results.
try the stuff you have before cutting up an expensive wool batt; and good luck :thumbup:

Blinky 10-29-2010 01:36 PM

Thanks for your help!!! I might just double it up and try the thin Thermore. I want to save my expensive wool batting for queen size quilts :roll: This is an applique wall/hanging lap size quilt (Christmas) that I will try the thin batt on. Will let you know how it works out :lol: Again, thanks for your time!!!

Blinky 10-29-2010 01:38 PM

I see you are from Northern Michigan! I was born and raised in Northern Wisconsin!! Good place to get a lot of use out of quilts :-D I live in the South East now. ...moved from Texas about a year ago....