Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using dress fabrics for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-dress-fabrics-quilting-t67998.html)

neeng 10-03-2010 04:08 AM

Hi, Just getting back into this. I have seen quilts of course in cottons, denim, flannel, and did a couple tiny flannel ones for my kids years and years ago, and since then have sewn a lot but not quilted. What I'm wondering...I have boxes and boxes of light and medium-weight "dressy" fabrics that I just love, in a multitude of colours. Any tips/cautions on using these in a quilt?

Sadiemae 10-03-2010 04:09 AM

I would use them in crazy quilts, but I am sure there are a lot of other ways to use them.

raptureready 10-03-2010 04:11 AM

Some of the "frilly" fabrics don't wear well in quilts. If they're thin or stretchy make sure you use the appropriate wieght and type of stabilizer. Oh, and ALWAYS remember that you're only limited by your imagination. Try it and see what you can come up with. Not all patterns translate well into other fabrics---if it's a big quilt stick to simple, if it's a wall hanging there're no limits or rules do what you want.

ktbb 10-03-2010 04:16 AM

You can use any fabric, however, here are some things to watch out for:
- excess fraying - (a lot of the dressy fabrics do) use a larger seam allowance or use a serger to seam and overcast the edges. also consider quilting it by stitching down the seam allowances to prevent further fraying.
- deal with washability issues ahead of time by prewashing all fabrics. this way you get the shrinking done and you can see how the fabric reacts to water and drying (some dressy fabrics look horrible after water hits them!)

Otherwise...go for it.

neeng 10-03-2010 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Some of the "frilly" fabrics don't wear well in quilts. If they're thin or stretchy make sure you use the appropriate wieght and type of stabilizer. Oh, and ALWAYS remember that you're only limited by your imagination. Try it and see what you can come up with. Not all patterns translate well into other fabrics---if it's a big quilt stick to simple, if it's a wall hanging there're no limits or rules do what you want.

Most of them aren't stretchy, but some are fairly thin...what do you use as a stabilizer? A fusible web/interfacing?

quiltingfan 10-03-2010 04:20 AM

welcome to the board and good luck on your "dressy" quilt !!!! LOL

raptureready 10-03-2010 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by neeng

Most of them aren't stretchy, but some are fairly thin...what do you use as a stabilizer? A fusible web/interfacing?

:lol: :lol: I have no idea, I hate using stabilizer so I avoid things that need it. However, I do know that you would need some type of it.

neeng 10-03-2010 04:33 AM

Thanks, I'll go play now.....

watterstide 10-03-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by neeng

i use one that is iron on, and is woven,looks like white muslin sort of..i used it on t-shirt quilts and on the back of minkee..worked ok for me..

SueDor 10-03-2010 04:39 AM

Hi from Ohio!