Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using elmers glue to baste applique and bind quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-elmers-glue-baste-applique-bind-quilts-t219170.html)

jcrow 04-15-2013 07:47 AM

I bound one quilt using Elmer's School Glue with the thin tip you buy separately and my binding was rock hard. I did a very thin line, but it must of been too thick to make it so stiff. Haven't used it since. And I spent the extra time and money finding the tiny tip.

nativetexan 04-15-2013 08:23 AM

I tried this method with just a bit of glue but when I pressed my binding, the glue came right through the fabric. last time I did that!! maybe a glue stick would work better. as it is, I pin or use clips and that works fine for me.

dcamarote 04-15-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6002171)
I have tried. What did I do wrong. I put the glue in a washing up bottle to give an easy thin flow . I dribbled the glues ina thin line placed piece on top and then pushed to spread out glue. I got big blobs and the glue came through the fabric. I have purchased a large bottle of elders and was fleeced it cost for delivery to UK £70 . I have got to get this right.

Sorry you had this problem. The only time my glue showed through was with black binding but I realized also I put too much on. Try a thinner line. It takes a little getting used to so maybe practice on something you don't care that much about or on some fabric scraps.

Buckeye Rose 04-15-2013 09:02 AM

The only time that glue coming thru the fabric will matter is if you never plan on washing the quilt, coz it will all wash out making seams and binding soft like they should be. Glue sticks are less messy, won't bleed thru the fabric and still wash out....give those a try.

jemma 04-16-2013 12:47 AM

i have chased a thin tip [in aussi] so far wood workers use small tip containers art supplies have small tips but the best one ive seen is roxanns quilting glue costly but worth it to get the bottle +tip then you can use what glue you want

Maggiem 04-16-2013 07:57 PM

I use my washable glue stick to baste just as I would use pins: a dot/smudge every 3 or 4 inches for binding, or at intersections for joining seams. Really, "a little dab will do."

I dab, then I hold the pieces together for a few seconds, then continue on.

BellaBoo 04-17-2013 06:56 AM

If you have trouble getting a thin line, just dab tiny dots of glue about 1" apart for binding. When I use the glue for basting the quilt, I hold the bottle up high and by the time the glue gets to the batting it is very thin. I aim for no thicker then a needle.

Daffy Daphne 04-17-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6003032)
I put the batting down first and put thin squiggles of glue on the batting. I put the backing, right side up, on the batting and smooth. Let dry and turn it over and do the same thing with the quilt top. Let dry and then quilt.

Bella, do you pin baste in addition to the glue, or is the glue sufficient by itself to hold the sandwich together while it's being manipulated through the machine (if you're using a DSM, that is)?

Daffy