Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Embroidery Thread to Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-embroidery-thread-quilt-t271270.html)

Sheddah 10-20-2015 04:29 AM

Using Embroidery Thread to Quilt

I'm pretty new at quilting. Right now I am quilting my first pieced quilt and having a lot of fun. (I have sewn for 52 years though. I'm not that old--am I? :shock:)

I lucked up on a complete stash about a year-and-a-half ago for a pittance. I now have a HUGE collection of rayon embroidery thread. The colors are stunning. I have many different variegated and metallic spools as well. The other day I thought, "I wonder if rayon embroidery thread can be used on the top (not bobbin) to quilt?" So I pose this question to all of you experienced quilters. What do you think?

Tartan 10-20-2015 04:57 AM

​Raton thread usually isn't as strong as regular thread. It is beautiful and I have used it on wall hangings and table runners to quilt since they don't get as much wear as a bed quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 10-20-2015 05:04 AM

I agree with Tartan. I wouldn't use it on any bed quilt or baby quilt that would have to insure many washings.

grammysharon 10-20-2015 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7350365)
​Raton thread usually isn't as strong as regular thread. It is beautiful and I have used it on wall hangings and table runners to quilt since they don't get as much wear as a bed quilt.

I also agree, it is beautiful but I know it breaks easily. I wouldn't use it for piecing or quilting.

dottie dodge 10-20-2015 07:53 AM

What are your thoughts on using polyester embroidery thread for quilting? Have a lot of embroidery thread and never thought about using it for quilting!

CanoePam 10-20-2015 08:12 AM

Good quality polyester embroidery thread is fine for quilting. I have used Isacord, Floriani, and YLI a number of times, just because I had it and the color was perfect. The rayon is not colorfast and is too weak.Pam

dottie dodge 10-20-2015 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 7350625)
Good quality polyester embroidery thread is fine for quilting. I have used Isacord, Floriani, and YLI a number of times, just because I had it and the color was perfect. The rayon is not colorfast and is too weak.Pam

Thanks! A good way to use up some of those colors that I bought for a "project".

Snooze2978 10-20-2015 08:35 AM

Rayon thread might fade in time and as someone else mentioned not as strong. I also embroider but use polyester threads. Have used these threads on my Innova quilt machine with great results. Also my metallic threads are also embroidery thread purchased from BFCreation as my brand of embroidery thread has been sold out to Floriani and their prices have doubled so going to switch to BFCreation's brand when I start to run out. I purchased most of my dealer's stock of the colors I used the most so I'm good for quite some time.

Serger threads are about the only ones I know never to use as they are weaker than most threads. Maybe that's why they use 3-8 threads at a time.

sewingsuz 10-20-2015 09:43 AM

I have several colors of polyester embroidery thread and thanks for the tip. Now I can use for quilting. Should I use in bobbin also?

Pennyhal 10-20-2015 09:58 AM

I've used it in the bobbin for small things. It's too expensive for me to use as bobbin thread all the time.