Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Fabric to Cover My Wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-fabric-cover-my-wall-t85230.html)

grangerist 12-27-2010 07:29 AM

liquid starch. Put on wall. put on material. Then cover with liquid starch again over material

nena 12-27-2010 07:37 AM

I did this once, but I did not glue it down. I just stapled the top , bottom and sides. I like to change stuff around and was afraid I would get tired of it after awhile. It worked just fine.

jgriinke 12-27-2010 07:50 AM

I actually did this by making a sleeve on the top and bottom and slid a piece of trim in the sleeve and nailed into the trim. Worked like a charm.

yolanda 12-27-2010 07:54 AM

Ooohhhh... this is a great idea.

Originally Posted by KarenR
Why don't you make a nice large quilt using the material and then paint the wall a very light color that corasponds to the quilt material. When you get tired of the design you have a nice quilt and can make a new one in new tones.

Yvonne 12-27-2010 08:18 AM

I used a staple gun to attach the fabric to my sewing room walls. I covered the staples with a ribbon. The whole process was fast and I could get the fabric as taut as I wanted it.

(I covered my school bulletin boards with fabric the last few years I was teaching. I would take it down for summer vacation and then put it back up in the fall! I still have some of that fabric in my stash.)

Naturalmama 12-27-2010 08:54 AM

Just saw a friends house where she used starch - I thought it looked fantastic!!

rslindiana 12-27-2010 11:24 AM

I've used the staple method several times for my daughter's college dorms and appartments. One time we had to use double sided tape for a concrete wall in which case the strength of the tape is important. We used carpet strength. Super easy and looked great. Easy to take down at the end of the school year.

Ragann63 12-27-2010 11:42 AM

I have used fabric wall covering before and am planning on it again. It is very popular in Europe and Upper Africa in hotels, etc. If you don't want to glue it to the wall (which I wouldn't) there are two things you can do. Both entail stapling. One is a "flat installation" where you simply staple the material at the edges and then cover with woodwork or bricbrac. The other (more popular) is to first staple a layer of fill to the wall and then the fabric over it, giving it a "puffier" and richer look. You still cover your edges with woodwork or bricbrac. Hope that helps!! It can look really regal.

QuiltingHiker 12-27-2010 11:52 AM

I did this many years ago. Liquid starch. Have someone to help you so you do not stretch your fabric. It stayed up for years and came down very easily.

auntmag 12-27-2010 12:38 PM

Several years ago I knew a gal that used heat and bond to fuse the fabric to her walls. Sounds like a lot of ironing but it may be worth a thought.