Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Fabric Panels in Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-fabric-panels-quilts-t35065.html)

Joanofpa 01-25-2010 06:47 AM

Hi, I was just looking over some beautiful panels and started wondering if they could be worked into a quilt. I love the Laura Bursch cat fabrics.

Has anyone ever done a quilt using panels? I am really curious since I am not the most imaginative person in the world! Thanks!

Elisabrat 01-25-2010 07:08 AM

They make great focal points and sometimes there are accents borders that can be added, toss in a few of your other fabrics that coordinate ie for borders, corner blocks etc and you can have a very nice quilt. Do a search here surely there are some that are shown in the pic category.

Quilt Mom 01-25-2010 07:15 AM

Panels make some of the quickest gifts I have made!

They can be put to all kinds of uses. Long/skinny panles can make a banner, or stagger three in a larger quilt. One panel, wof and 1 yard long, is often available for baby quilts. I agree... do a search here on the board. There are a lot of creative people here who have posted pictures of their work. That may get you jumpstarted! :thumbup:

shaverg 01-25-2010 07:47 AM

Panels are great, especially when you add others pieced blocks and borders. There is so much you can do with them. Just look at it as the center to your quilt and design from there.

knlsmith 01-25-2010 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just made this top yesterday. It was a kit and pattern. the center 3 large pics are one panel with attic windows and fussy cut print inside them. The pattern had several long borders added. it was quick and fun. Easy to do my first flannel and my first panel in.

Maride 01-25-2010 08:21 AM

I have made several panels. They aer great to practice free motion quilting. I add a coordinating fabric around the border and quilt away. Sometimes I just follow the contour of the panel for the quilting.

Honey 01-25-2010 09:29 AM

I have used several panels, mainly for baby or kids quilts. They are fast and easy and so pretty.

mpspeedy 01-25-2010 10:30 AM

I love panels. I usually make them as gifts for weddings, babies etc. I add a couple or so borders and handquilt the dickens out of them. I made my niece a really cute holiday wallquilt with snowmen. She can use it in her home for the holidays no matter how or what she celebrates in December. There are lovely oriental ones available that can be made into art pieces. Enjoy.

sewnsewer2 01-25-2010 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure you can! Here's one I did, just added the borders.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-25-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Panels are great, especially when you add others pieced blocks and borders. There is so much you can do with them. Just look at it as the center to your quilt and design from there.

good idea.