Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using flannel for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-flannel-backing-t171297.html)

Copper 12-07-2011 03:35 PM

Using flannel for backing

I would like tips on how to use flannel for backing. When I tried quilting it really puckered.;)

sandilee 12-07-2011 03:40 PM

I use it on baby quilts all the time. Are you using a walking foot? Is the fabric stretched straight?

ckcowl 12-07-2011 03:44 PM

flannel is a bit heavier/loftier than regular cottons (normally) starch helps- and you have to baste well---lengthen your stitch length a bit- put together a small (like a 12" square) practice piece and try different stitches, and basting, practice until you find what works for you (you didn't say how you were quilting it- i'm assuming machine...did you use a walking foot or a free motion foot? what about batting? there could be many reasons for your problem- maybe show us some pictures of the quilting/puckering??
tell us how you basted- what foot you are using- what batting (loft/weight) the loftier the quilt sandwich the more chance of puckering- unless you really lengthen the stitch length- and if possible lessen the pressure from the foot (some machines you can adjust that-some you can not) if your machine has settings for light/medium/heavy fabrics- set it for heavy *that will lighten the foot pressure*
practice on a practice piece---preferably with the same combination as the quilt) until you have it the way you want it---then move on to your quilt
starching the flannels will help them be more manageable....and more information may get you more advice.

suern3 12-07-2011 03:45 PM

I just finished free motion quilting a quilt for my daughter with a flannel backing. I didn't have any problems with it puckering. I just do pin basting and used Quilters Dream medium loft batting. I washed the flannel before using. Nothing special really.

QuiltnLady1 12-07-2011 03:59 PM

I have worked with flannel a lot. Wash it and starch it -- all the flannel I have shrinks at different rates (I have had some shrink cross grain, some with the grain and some both and some not at all). I spray baste, so it is glued to the batting. Flannel makes a nice cuddly back for a quilt. DGSs love the flannel.

scrappy2 12-07-2011 05:25 PM

I always wash flannel first and use a walking foot.

nannyrick 12-07-2011 05:43 PM

I use flannel all the time. Love how cozy it feels. I wash it first, the spray baste
and am very careful to push out the wrikles to the outer edges. Have never used
the starch, but sounds lke a great idea. Will try it next time.

cathyvv 12-07-2011 05:56 PM

Try washing the flannel twice. I use iron-on batting with flannel backing, as that stablizes it. Seems to work.

Stitchnripper 12-07-2011 07:03 PM

I have used flannel for several baby quilts. I wash and dry the flannel twice, never have starched, pin baste and haven't had any problems yet.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 12-07-2011 07:18 PM

I use flannel and in the past for many of the baby quilts I have quilted, and have had no problems with it at all.