Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using flannel instead of batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-flannel-instead-batting-t247962.html)

KR 06-05-2014 06:04 AM

Using flannel instead of batting

I'm sure someone out there has used flannel instead of batting...right? What were your pro's and con's? I'm thinking it would be perfect for a lightweight coverlet. The only drawback I can see is that the quilting wouldn't look "quilted."

If not flannel, what is the thinnest/lightest weight batting? Thanks for your help!

Dar-midlife 06-05-2014 06:28 AM

I have not personally used it in a summer quilt but it was quite a discussion on just that at our last guild meeting. A number of members had did it and were happy with the result. In Minnesota it seems we only use a summer quilt for about 4-5 month anyway so the quilted looked isn't a big thing to me. Keep in mind though, the flannel will shrink quite a bit so you may want to pre-wash and dry several times before putting it in the quilt. The quilting aspect was not discussed though. I use it a lot with table toppers/runners. I like them to be a little flatter so things set on them are not as "tippy".

Sally J 06-05-2014 06:37 AM

I've used flannel a number of times. I washed and dried on high heat 3 times. No problem with shrinkage. The quilting actually looked fine. I don't do really heavy quilting. The quilt is light but drapes really well. Go for it

Skylark53 06-05-2014 06:57 AM

The first quilt I made was a rag quilt through a class I took and we used flannel. I can't attest to the comfort level as I haven't actually *used* it, but it does have a nice lightweight feel. As others have mentioned, the quilting won't be as visible and you won't get "poofiness".

I would definitely recommend washing and drying on high before using to shrink it. I've only washed the finished quilt once, but didn't have anymore shrinkage because of the pre-washing. Flannel can shrink up quite a bit so make sure you buy enough!

Dar-midlife 06-05-2014 07:15 AM

I just had another thought-if you want the quilting to show up more, using a heavier weight thread might be your answer?

amelia0607 06-05-2014 07:22 AM

I use flannel for baby quilts because I don't want those items to be so heavy. I also want the mom to be able to wrap up baby nicely if she chooses. Since I am new to quilting, I don't do any free motion or curves. I usually do wavy lines or diamonds - something simple. The quilt doesn't have that puffiness but it definitely has a quilted appearance. Hope that helps!

Peckish 06-05-2014 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a quilt for my college-aged nephew that was three layers of flannel; top, batting, and backing. It is quite heavy. The "batting" was a recycled ugly flannel sheet. It was a simple 9-patch made from Bonnie Sullivan's Woolies line, which I loved. The fabrics were all pre-washed and it did not shrink at all, which was mildly disappointing to me. I like the crinkly look. Oh well - my nephew loves it and that's all that matters. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478008[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 06-05-2014 08:39 AM

VERY NICE quilt Peggy !!! It so hard to find patterns for guys. Yes, flannel can become heavy and cumbersome. If you decide to use flannel as batting, I would wash and dry it on high a few times. You don't want your quilt to shrink because it will if the flannel is not washed.

quilter1 06-05-2014 08:50 AM

I have not used flannel in a bed quilt but have made table runners and placemats with flannel instead of batting. I like that those things will lay flat and not be puffy. Go for it- just wash and dry well so the shrinkage factor is minimal.

ckcowl 06-05-2014 11:07 AM

I've used flannel for batting many times, generally when I want my project to be flat... For the projects I've used it for there were no 'cons'...but I don't think I would use it for a quilt I wanted to be lightweight... Flannel is really warm. I have also used just a layer of lightweight muslin for batting, that worked fine too and was not as heavy at the flannel