Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using GIMP to Design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-gimp-design-t282793.html)

Radhika 10-05-2016 11:02 PM

Using GIMP to Design

Hello I am new to this forum. I got here via a google search "How to use GIMP to design a quilt". I have downloaded the pdf tutorial by Michael Holmes (2011).

I have a small problem. I set the axometric squares to 0.25 inches so that I would have a very detailed template to help me to draw my quilt blocks. I also turned on the GIMP grid and calibrated it to show at 1 inch intervals.

My problem --> the two grids are so far off from each other. Which one is correct? I need to make accurate measurements for fabric purchases etc.

PS. I cannot afford to buy EQ7. It would cost about Rs.12,000 in Indian currency.

Thanks for helping.

Sailorwoman 10-06-2016 03:25 AM

Sorry, can't help you, Radhika, but I wanted to welcome you to Quilting Board. It is a great place with extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly quilters.

PaperPrincess 10-06-2016 04:41 AM

Hello and welcome! I haven't played with GIMP for a long time, but I think of it as more of a paint/photo program vs. a vector draw and for me it would be difficult to design a patchwork block in it but there may have been some recent enhancements that would lend itself to the task. Although a lot of folks use a computerized program to design their quilts, many, many folks go 'old school' and use a pencil and grid paper. I would start with pencil and paper to design the block. You can figure out fabric requirements for a single block, then use a program to lay out the blocks for your quilt and multiply the number of blocks with the fabric requirements for the single one to determine yardage . This way, the size of grid you use in the application doesn't really matter. I did a google search and it looks like there is at least one board dedicated to GIMP and they have some posts on quilting. you may also want to consider asking there.

justflyingin 10-06-2016 05:45 AM

I would check out GIMP forums.

But I think there may be at least a couple of basic online options for designing quilts. I guess it depends on how difficult your quilt will be.

Peckish 10-06-2016 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 7670109)
I would check out GIMP forums.

This was my thought also. I've heard and been involved in many, many discussions about designing quilts with various software products, but Gimp was not one of them.

Radhika 10-06-2016 08:01 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have learned some things from the GIMP forums since posting this question. Using GIMP is not nearly as convenient as EQ7 but it is faster than using grid paper and colouring pencils (my old way). I spent the afternoon playing around and I am having fun.

Peckish 10-06-2016 08:10 AM

There ARE other, less expensive programs for designing quilts. I love EQ, but they're not the only game in town. I did a quick Google search and found other EQ products (stand-alones) that are more affordable, such as Blockbase and Dear Jane Design, not to mention products from other vendors: Kaleidoscope Kreator, Quilt Pro, etc. I think there are others that have even been discussed here on the board.

roguequilter 10-06-2016 08:14 AM

there are several sites online that offer free quilt design software, but the only one that i am familiar with that you can use to design your own blocks as well as use block library to design quilt layout etc is ...

http://quiltassistant.com/free-quilt-design-software

it's a safe site, secure download. very useable.

am editing to say that i erred about block library. if you need free block libraries i have many bookmarked. my fave two are WideWorld of Quilts & Jinny Byers design board found on her website. both sites give multiple sizes for the blocks. another good site is quilters cache. let me know if you need links to these or other sites.