Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Minky on the back of a T-shirt quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-minky-back-t-shirt-quilt-t228442.html)

drgranny 08-21-2013 09:38 AM

Using Minky on the back of a T-shirt quilt

Has any one done this? I don't want to tie this quilt. I have some nice minky and thought it would be nice on the back. Is it to stretchy? My t-shirt blocks has stablizer on the backs of them. Wouldn't that keep them from stretching? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

sew scrappy 08-21-2013 10:17 AM

I was wondering the same thing.

sahm4605 08-21-2013 10:39 AM

there is a ton of stretch in the fabric. I would spray glue it together to help stabilize it. and very very very very careful when you are quilting. especially with the two stretchy fabrics.

feline fanatic 08-21-2013 10:43 AM

It will weigh a lot!! T-shirt quilt tops are very heavy and Minkee is very heavy. Quilting on a DSM with this kind of weight you will be able to skip the gym the entire time you are working on it!

cindi 08-21-2013 11:14 AM

I'm personally not a Minky fan, as it's polyester, doesn't breathe like cotton and makes me sweat. Used it once. Never again. But it sure is soft and silky! I agree with the others, though - I wouldn't use it on a t-shirt quilt. It would be quite heavy....

cedarvalleyquilts 08-21-2013 12:10 PM

I agree you're going to have a lot of stretch when you quilt. The stabilizer will help some, but from my experience, even with stabilizer used on a T-shirt quilt, when I LA it, the top still stretches a bit...just not as much as if no stabilizer was used.

Christine

ckcowl 08-21-2013 12:17 PM

i just finished quilting a t-shirt quilt for a customer who used minkie for the backing- we also used batting- it quilted up beautifully! it is a heavy quilt= but will be oh so warm & cozy! I did not have any problems with it- her t-shirt blocks had stabilizer- the sashing strips and corner stones did not and were flannel- the minkie backing was one of the long-nap ones- I am careful to smooth but not stretch the minkie- but have been backing quilts and quilting other's quilts with it for 7 or 8 years now- I've never really had any problems with it- it quilts up beautifully. I do use a longer stitch length and loosen the tension on top a little bit-but that is the only adjustments I make.

Dotha 08-21-2013 12:38 PM

Is it okay to piece the Minky for a back. Or does it have to be only a 54 to 60 wide quilt. I am so afraid of using it but it sure does look pretty on the backs of my friends' quilts.

CoalTownQuilter 08-21-2013 12:45 PM

I have done many tshirt quilts with minky on the back. As a matter of fact, I'll have another one finished by the end of the week! I send mine to a long armer and she's never had any issues to tell me about. My tshirts are stabilized but not my sashing. I've used both flannel and cotton for sashing. Don't be discouraged! Once you do one, usually somebody else falls in love with it and asks for one as well!

CoalTownQuilter 08-21-2013 12:47 PM

Yes its okay to piece the minky just make sure the nap is going the same direction when you sew the pieces together!