Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using my new Sweet 16 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-my-new-sweet-16-a-t287722.html)

indycat32 04-23-2017 07:19 AM

Using my new Sweet 16

I went to the Chicago quilt show a few weeks ago and Handiquilter was selling their demo sweet 16s for under $4000 with free shipping so I whipped out my credit card. Three cones of Superior So Fine were also included. (That is some fuzzy thread.) I took a Leah Day and a Christina Cameli class on Craftsy and lots of practice. I'm ready to do a simple meander on a real quilt. Here's my question: where do I start the quilting? The middle row of the quilt? The upper left? Should I fill one block before moving on to the next? Does it matter? The instructional videos use fat-quarter size pieces or individual blocks, which is great for demonstrating a pattern, but not helpful for doing an actual quilt. I spray-baste if that matters.

Another question: the instruction manual says oil every other bobbin, which I took to mean every two bobbins. The DVD says every bobbin. I don't want to under-oil. Is it possible to "over oil"?

Any tips anyone would like to offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

feline fanatic 04-23-2017 07:37 AM

I am assuming this is a sit down machine. If so, I think I would start in the middle and work my way out towards the edges. Kind of like a spiral. As long as the quilt is well basted (either with safety pins, glue, or spray baste) you shouldn't have issues. If you are planning on doing an all over meander I would not fill by block as I think it may appear obvious once the quilt is all done.

The few quilts I did on my domestic I never did an all over but I always started in the middle and worked my way out. Now I quilt on a longarm and my longarm is on a frame so I start at the top and work my way down and don't have to baste the sandwich.

joe'smom 04-23-2017 07:48 AM

I also quilt on a Sweet 16. Jamie Wallen, who does instructional videos, says you can't over oil.

I divide my quilts into quadrants, begin in the center of the quilt and quilt the lower right quadrant, working in a kind of diagonal back and forth. This keeps the bulk of the quilt to the top and left of me (I have a card table to the left of my machine). When I'm done with a quadrant, I rearrange the quilt, so I'm once again quilting the lower right quadrant in the same manner. Good luck with your new machine!!!

indycat32 04-23-2017 08:25 AM

Thanks, Joe's mom. That makes perfect sense.

Onebyone 04-23-2017 08:36 AM

I use Sew Fine a lot and it's certainly not fuzzy. ?

indycat32 04-23-2017 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7809951)
I use Sew Fine a lot and it's certainly not fuzzy. ?

Call it whatever you want, but when I can see short, fine fibers all along the length of the thread, I call it fuzzy.

Peckish 04-23-2017 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by indycat32 (Post 7810038)
Call it whatever you want, but when I can see short, fine fibers all along the length of the thread, I call it fuzzy.

Maybe that's why it was included at no charge? :D

In my experience, you can definitely over-oil. I over-oiled my Brother 1500 and figured it out when I opened the bobbin area and there was brown, gooey stuff on the floor of the machine's casing. You can start by oiling with every bobbin and if you have an excess, then you know to back off to every other bobbin. It doesn't hurt the machine, just makes a slight mess.

Onebyone 04-23-2017 03:27 PM

But I don't see that on the Sew Fine I have. It's thin and smooth. I use the 60 wt. Maybe the lower wts are fuzzy It comes in 30, 40, 50 and 60 wts.

Dolphyngyrl 04-23-2017 05:26 PM

My sew fine isn't fuzzy either, maybe its a bad spool

Peckish 04-23-2017 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 7810253)
My sew fine isn't fuzzy either, maybe its a bad spool

I was wondering the same thing.