Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using my stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-my-stash-t290670.html)

Tartan 08-22-2017 06:11 PM

Using my stash

1 Attachment(s)
I have a couple of yellow fabrics that have been sitting in my stash for quite a while (because they are unique)I decided to do Jenny's cat pattern with yellow as the background behind the cats and the yellow patterned fabric for the backing. This quilt is probably going to blind someone but I am having fun looking for fabrics to put with it. Do you let your stash decide what needs to be used or do you buy for next quilt?[ATTACH=CONFIG]579386[/ATTACH]

Jingle 08-22-2017 06:51 PM

Doesn't look blinding to me. Could be it is brighter in person. I think your cat quilt will be very pretty when finished.

I have a very stash and shop that when I decide to start a quilt.

I am working with my Daughters very last amount of scraps the last few weeks.

zozee 08-22-2017 07:22 PM

Well, that's certainly an eye popping yellow pattern. Looks like a good backing . I'd be worried if you'd said it was background behind the cats unless all cats were solid. Busy backs are fun.

NJ Quilter 08-23-2017 02:25 AM

I don't maintain a stash except for larger leftover pieces from previous quilts so I always purchase new fabrics for the next project unless it's something small and just crafty.

QuiltnNan 08-23-2017 03:17 AM

i usually have an idea of a general color scheme, but then go to find coordinating fabrics in my stash... sometimes the stash dictates the overall look

DebraK 08-23-2017 03:18 AM

yes, I like to let my stash or scrap baskets decide. I enjoy the challenge. I do replenish my neutrals as needed. I have a very unique green to use. In fact, I'm not really sure it is green ;-)

I like your unique yellows. Like kitties sitting in the sunshine with tassels to play with on the back. Those are tassels, right?

SusieQOH 08-23-2017 04:22 AM

That's going to be such a fun quilt!!!
I usually find something in my stash that I'm dying to use. Then I grab whatever goes with it and start my project.
Once in awhile I do it differently but that's mostly my plan.
I can't wait to see those cats finished!!

Charleen DiSante 08-23-2017 04:31 AM

I like starting with my stash when I am beginning a quilt. Always have to have that ONE other one though. This cat quilt is purrfect. (sorry, I don't usually do that!) I love the cat prints you have included. This would be a good swap quilt.

Granny9 08-23-2017 05:58 AM

I use out of my stash a lot. Last 3 quilts all came from my stash. I have to use some of this up! Lots of pieced backs too. Need to make your cat quilt it would use up some more. LOL

joe'smom 08-23-2017 06:41 AM

I get my idea of what I want, and then shop my (small) stash for appropriate fabrics, but I usually have to buy some additional fabric for a project. I really like those cat fabrics!