Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using my stash of yardage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-my-stash-yardage-t35020.html)

bstanbro 01-24-2010 03:00 PM

I've been purchasing yardage in 2, 3, and 4-yard increments for about a year, and I have accumulated a nice collection. Also, I have a good supply of scraps in all different sizes. I have a couple of pieces of yardage, and yardage with some nice sized scraps that look terrific together. My dilemma is trying to find an appropriate pattern so that I can use them. I'm finding that it's much easier to choose the pattern first, then the fabric.

My question is how do you go about matching a pattern to your yardage? What is your thinking process when you do this? I can certainly add other fabrics, I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed trying to find patterns to go with what I have. I hope this question makes sense.

I made a New Year's resolution not to purchase any more yardage until I've used a good portion of what I have.

grammynan 01-24-2010 03:03 PM

Choose your pattern first. Then instead of going to the fabric store, go to your stash.

MamaBear61 01-24-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by grammynan
Choose your pattern first. Then instead of going to the fabric store, go to your stash.

That makes perfect sense, but why do I find it so hard to do???? :wink:

AbbyQuilts 01-24-2010 03:13 PM

I look at what colors go together pull them all out (even if it is to much to make quilt)
then figure out the yardage and then look for a pattern to match or one that I could modify without a problem to match up with the yardage that I have.
Then based on the pattern I pick and chose the colors I want

littlehud 01-24-2010 03:28 PM

I understand what you are saying. That is so hard for me to do. I usually end up at the fabric store.

Quilt Mom 01-24-2010 03:53 PM

I'm in the same position. I bought a collection of pieces a few years ago, thinking I would find the perfect pattern some day. The collection sits...

I am trying to use up a good portion of my stash this year, also. I will be watching this thread for suggestions. Thanks for starting it.

amma 01-24-2010 05:19 PM

If your yardage is larger sized prints, I would search for patterns like warm wishes, D9P, where they will be showcased.

If they are smaller prints log cabins and other strip pieced blocks always seem to look nice.

If you find you have a lot of lights and darks, or mediums/lights, etc... Look for patterns that utilize these combinations.

Maybe sitting the fabrics beside you while you search for patterns? Then if one jumps out at you, you can imagine them better in the pattern?

bstanbro 01-25-2010 12:05 AM

Thanks these are all good suggestions. I have a couple of combinations that I think would be beautiful together and I really want to choose a pattern that shows them off.

ConnieF 01-25-2010 01:01 AM

scrap quilts amd more scrap quilts..... make a scrappy log cabin or the D9P. A lot of great pattern for scrap piecing... good luck, and Hi , I used to live in Tiagard and I worked in Hillsbrough, at one hour martinizing...
I am in the rainie NW, Wa

patricej 01-25-2010 01:50 AM

when you bought the fabrics, did you buy them in "sets" you thought would go together in one quilt? can you easily pull out two or three "colors" and at least one "background" that will all work together?

or are they mostly more random?

my mountain consists mostly of "colors" (good for the foreground pieces). not a lot of fabrics good for backgrounds. i also tend to forget the back of the quilt. so, when i shop my stash i have a hard time pulling out everything i need for one quilt.

if that's your problem, try modifying your resolution so that you only allow yourself to buy one or two new fabs to coordinate with those from your stash. don't buy anything, though, until you've settled on the pattern you want to use.