Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Non-Tradional Quilting Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-non-tradional-quilting-fabrics-t245612.html)

tropit 04-22-2014 04:45 PM

Using Non-Tradional Quilting Fabrics

Quilting cotton reigns Queen in my quilts, but I'm curious if anyone has used other, non-traditional fabrics s/a linen, hemp, ramie, hand wovens, etc.

Thanks,
Cindy

PenniF 04-22-2014 04:56 PM

I have made at least 10 quilts and half a dozen quilted purses using faux suede....my avatar being one example. It is a GREAT non-traditional fabric to work with...tho you have to clean the "fluz" out of your bobbin case quite often!!!

tropit 04-22-2014 05:17 PM

Faux suede sounds VERY cool! How is the quilt used? As a blanket? A wall hanging? A rug?
~ Cindy

DogHouseMom 04-22-2014 05:28 PM

Believe it or not I used gold Lame to bind a table topper once.

ONCE.

AngeliaNR 04-22-2014 05:33 PM

Crazy quilts often have satin, velvet, taffeta, brocade, etc. While lovely, I'd want to use them for light-duty--washing them often might be problematic.

crafty pat 04-22-2014 05:33 PM

My DM used to use all types of fabrics in some of her quilts. The ones I have she made that way are still good and pretty. I have never used anything but quilting fabric in mine.

alisonquilts 04-22-2014 05:57 PM

I have used silk, cotton velvet, corduroy, cotton/poly, rayon, T-shirt knit material (stabilized, and not just in T-shirt quilts!), fleece (for applique, and for texture in paper-pieced critters), tulle, satin, and upholstery fabrics of many kinds.

The only problems I've had came from not adjusting seam allowances and stitch length enough when sewing fabrics together which have dramatically different weaves - when in doubt leave a larger seam allowance and use a smaller stitch. I always prewash everything, but I think even if you aren't normally a pre-washer you would want to test any unorthodox fabrics before including them.

Alison

tropit 04-23-2014 05:09 AM

I'm wondering about something shaggy...like fake fur. I don't know if I'd like sewing on it, but it might be cute in a little kid's quilt.

~ Cindy

ManiacQuilter2 04-23-2014 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6687153)
Believe it or not I used gold Lame to bind a table topper once.

ONCE.

I have used lame as an accent border a few times in quilts. I bought some fusible that makes those fabrics washable. Never have tested it out since I am not a big fan of washing quilts especially now when I have to depend on the apt complex laundry facilities.

tropit 04-23-2014 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts (Post 6687193)
I have used silk, cotton velvet, corduroy, cotton/poly, rayon, T-shirt knit material (stabilized, and not just in T-shirt quilts!), fleece (for applique, and for texture in paper-pieced critters), tulle, satin, and upholstery fabrics of many kinds.

The only problems I've had came from not adjusting seam allowances and stitch length enough when sewing fabrics together which have dramatically different weaves - when in doubt leave a larger seam allowance and use a smaller stitch. I always prewash everything, but I think even if you aren't normally a pre-washer you would want to test any unorthodox fabrics before including them.

Alison

That's a good point, Alison. I wouldn't have thought to adjust the seam allowance.
~ C