Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using old linens, doilies, etc (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-old-linens-doilies-etc-t94104.html)

pocoellie 01-26-2011 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about something like this? I have a different picture using the lace/doily cut in either halves or quarters depending on the size of the doily and sewing the raw edges into the seam allowance, one way it looks like butterflies. I have to see if I can find the pattern and/or picture though.

whinnytoo 01-26-2011 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went to a class exactly on this very topic. Here are a few photos from that class..... it was mainly about doing memory quilts using the vintage linens..the photos are from a quilt depicting each month of the year,, all had some form of old linen included.

toomanycats 01-26-2011 02:14 PM

oh, how beautiful. Such clever use of pins and thing. When I was little (58 now) on my grandparents side porch of the house we now are living ontop of a old table was a gallon jar full of old old buttons. I use to dig through those constantly. well, through the years it disappeared. Sure would like to have that jar now. My grandmother had alot of costume jewlery that I now have. Would some of the sparkly things work on it or the pretty flowered pins?

whinnytoo 01-26-2011 02:17 PM

according to the instructor, you can use anything you like! why keep things hidden in a drawer when you should be enjoying them!

toomanycats 01-26-2011 02:52 PM

Wonderful ideas and ways to use some of granny's jewelery. Now, to get the income tax out of the way, brothers quilt finished quilting, mom's lap throw, tablecloth...oh, and think I will need some solids as I usually don't use those...so a trip to town to goodwill or fabric store...now see what you have started with your question jeanette?....laughing really

ptquilts 01-26-2011 03:03 PM

I have used round doilies by making a square pillow out of pastel linen fabric, and tacking the doily to the top, very pretty and feminine.

whinnytoo 01-26-2011 03:05 PM

sounds very pretty indeed!! grandma would be proud

pocoellie 01-26-2011 04:18 PM

whinnytoo-That's beautiful!!

mim 01-26-2011 04:26 PM

my son dated a girl from Brazil. On her bed was a beautiful quilt. It was large 8" or 10" colored squares. (I forget the size)Every square had a croched doily on it. The effect was stunning. Her grandmother had made the squares and treasured it.

Mim

Originally Posted by Jeanette
I have numerous old pillow cases, table runners, doilies, etc. that belonged to my mother and my grandmother. Does anyone have suggestions for how I might use them in quilts, wall hangings, table runners, etc? Also do you know of any books that I might purchase that would be helpful

Jeanette 01-31-2011 02:39 PM

Thank you all for your ideas. I will let you know what I finally decide to do with them. Although I have so many it will take a few projects.