Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Poly Mono thread in the bobbin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-poly-mono-thread-bobbin-t259974.html)

baywinds 01-19-2015 03:15 PM

Using Poly Mono thread in the bobbin

I am using Superior Poly Monofilament (invisible)thread in the top and would like to use it in the bobbin also. I remember tips and cautionary messages about winding it to the bobbin, but don't remember the do's and don'ts. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. I think the speed of machine winding it was an issue, but doing it by hand seems like it would not hold a very good or even tension.
Thank you,
Susan

GagaSmith 01-19-2015 04:12 PM

I took a class from Karen Kay Buckley, a nationally known machine applique master, and she had us use invisible thread, I think she recommended Superior brand. We wound our bobbins by machine and they worked fine.

Peckish 01-19-2015 05:17 PM

I would check Superior's website for instructions and details. They have a very good site, and if you can't find your answer there, call them.

Prism99 01-19-2015 07:14 PM

You should machine wind the bobbin but, because polyester thread has more stretch than cotton thread, you want to wind the bobbin slowly to reduce how much it stretches while being wound.

Hulalulu 01-20-2015 04:33 AM

Agree 100% with winding the bobbin slowly -- first time I used it both top and bottom was on a very basic Brother machine, and no problem. Then used the bobbin winder on my Viking Sapphire -- had it about half full -- and couldn't get the bobbin off the winder -- it was so tight on there it had to unthreaded, by hand, to release the tension enough to free the bobbin from the post! Sometimes, I use the monopoly on the top, and a regular thread on the bottom which coordinates with the backing. Never have a problem with the top thread pulling up the bottom, so this also works for me.

baywinds 01-20-2015 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7055238)
You should machine wind the bobbin but, because polyester thread has more stretch than cotton thread, you want to wind the bobbin slowly to reduce how much it stretches while being wound.

Thank you for all the answers. Now I just need to figure out how to slow down the bobbin winder on a newer machine. It doesn't seem to be affected by the speed control for sewing. The winder is on or it is off. But I'll figure something. Thank you again.

Peckish 01-20-2015 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by baywinds (Post 7055864)
Now I just need to figure out how to slow down the bobbin winder on a newer machine.

It's not controlled by the foot pedal?

grammysharon 01-20-2015 11:00 PM

I use this thread in the bobbin of my Bernina 830 and haven't had any problem with it!!!

baywinds 01-21-2015 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7056905)
It's not controlled by the foot pedal?

No, it doesn't seem to be. Once I click the bobbin on it appears to bypass completely the speed controls. I don't use the foot pedal, it just "is on and fast" or it is off. I'm getting the manual out (it's a Babylock Symphony 4 years old)