Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using quilt as a shower curtain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-quilt-shower-curtain-t250173.html)

AlvaStitcher 07-15-2014 03:55 AM

Using quilt as a shower curtain

In our new home I am thinking about using a quilt or a pieced top for a shower curtain in the guest bathroom. This shower will not be used frequently (I was afraid of mildew) so I think it would hold up well. My question is this, do I make up the quilt as usual with backing and batting or just use the top or the top and backing with no batting. Either way I will use a shower curtain liner. I know some of you have done this and I need your opinions please. Thanks for your responses.

lockesnest 07-15-2014 04:00 AM

When I did that I used a top and back, no batt. I have also just added a pieced panel to the bottom of an existing shower curtain to lengthen it.

Tartan 07-15-2014 04:00 AM

For me it would depend on the bathroom lighting. A full quilt is going to cut off most of the light.

Nammie to 7 07-15-2014 04:04 AM

The ones I've seen didn't have any batting. As long as you use a liner you shouldn't have any problems. Let us see your finished project.

Weezy Rider 07-15-2014 04:05 AM

I've been making my own shower curtains for years - usually use cotton, and while not actually quilted, they are color or print blocked. Just toss them in the wash every year.

ManiacQuilter2 07-15-2014 04:38 AM

I would quilt the top to a backing without any batting so that it could be washed, unless you serge all the seams. I was going to make mine, but then I found a shower curtain that I like that used the colors I was looking for.

scrapatches 07-15-2014 04:44 AM

I have made patchwork cotton shower curtains. I have never used batting of any kind. I have used washed muslin as lining. The last time I used an inexpensive cloth shower curtain liner for the backing. I always wash all my fabrics before sewing so shrinkage was not a problem. I also use an inexpensive vinyl liner in back. I live in a humid climate and these have washed and worn well. Hope this helps ... :)

KwiltyKahy 07-15-2014 05:39 AM

I made one one time because I wanted to see if I could piece on the serger. It worked well and when it was done I decided I didn't even need a backing because the seams were all enclosed and the plastic liner was behind it.

nanna-up-north 07-15-2014 07:10 AM

I've done 1 cloth shower curtain but not a quilted one. I wouldn't put any batting in. The cotton would absorb moisture and get very heavy.... plus you'd have the mildew thing going on inside the layers. I would make my quilt like any other quilt (no batting) and put my grommits on the one side. But I wouldn't attach the liner to the quilt. That's the way I have my shower curtains here at home. I can wash the outer decorative curtain without a problem. And, if the plastic liner gets ugly, I can replace that without destroying my pretty cloth curtain. Good luck with your project.

Jeanne S 07-15-2014 07:47 AM

I also would. Ot use batting as I would think it would absorb moisture from the shower water steam and get heavy or mildew over time. Just a lightweight backing (unless you serge) and a vinyl liner. Love to see pictures!