Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using same material question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-same-material-question-t69380.html)

carolaug 10-10-2010 11:33 AM

I just found a brown dog print at Joanne's. I have two grown boys that I would like to make quilts for. I was thinking of doing a nine block with all the same fabric. Has anyone every done that?? I am thinking it would be more manly for them. Oh...and yes they both have dogs.

np3 10-10-2010 11:35 AM

I haven't tried that before. You could make two blocks and see what it looks like before you cut it all out.

ktbb 10-10-2010 11:35 AM

you could do that, but it would almost be not worth the time to cut it and restitch. Why not check the back of the fabric. if the print comes through, you could make the 9patch out of the same fabric but with one part the front and one part the back...

MadQuilter 10-10-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I was thinking of doing a nine block with all the same fabric. Has anyone every done that?? I am thinking it would be more manly for them. Oh...and yes they both have dogs.

Hm, I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying you'll cut squares from the same fabric and sew them back together? If that is your plan, then you will not be able to identify them as 9-patches when done. The 9-patch needs at least 2 fabrics sewn alternated to be recognized as such.

I think we get too hung up sometimes as to "what is manly" and it sounds to me like you should be able to find a few alternating fabrics to go with the dog print. BTQ, 9-patch is one of my favorite patterns. I like to alternate it with feature fabric squares.

amma 10-10-2010 11:40 AM

Maybe use another brown/tan/dark fabric too? I am not sure you would like the look if all of the patches were the same fabric...

carolaug 10-10-2010 11:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
hmmm...I wonder if I did a disappearing nine patch. Both are in there 20's I am just thinking they would use it more. I was going to do a lap quilt for them. I would use a different color on the other side. The dog print on one side and then one of the other fabrics on the other side. Joanne's fabric had them marked down to 1.50 a yard...and the dog print for 4.00 a yard.

Originally Posted by carolaug
I just found a brown dog print at Joanne's. I have two grown boys that I would like to make quilts for. I was thinking of doing a nine block with all the same fabric. Has anyone every done that?? I am thinking it would be more manly for them. Oh...and yes they both have dogs.

here are all the ones I bought most are more girlish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112900[/ATTACH]

gale 10-10-2010 11:53 AM

But the thing is no matter what pattern you use, if you cut the fabric and simply stitch it back together, it's not really much different than just leaving it all one piece. There won't be any contrast. I would use a brown/tan for the 2nd fabric like amma suggested.

Just saw your fabrics. I would just use the dog print with one of the others for the top and then the 3rd print for the back.

gale 10-10-2010 11:55 AM

In fact, I would use fabric A and B for one top and fabric A and C for the other. Just for some variety.

wolfkitty 10-10-2010 12:00 PM

I would suggest Using different fabric for the backing so they can tell them apart, or in some way making them just a little different. Doesn't have to be anything big.

amma 10-10-2010 12:18 PM

My son would love the dog print, and would probably prefer the blue/brown or the large scale brown/white print :D:D:D