Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using scrap squares to make a rag rug? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-scrap-squares-make-rag-rug-t313982.html)

SandyinZ4 01-25-2021 10:42 AM

Using scrap squares to make a rag rug?

Has anyone ever made a 'rag' rug' with leftover fabric squares? I know they are folded kitty-corner and then sewn across and onto some kind of backing. If you do know how to do this, can you let me know or send me to a place with directions please.
Plus I was 'gifted' lots of fleece scraps and thought they might make a really great rug but just need to know how to do it. Wondering how one binds the edge of backing fabric, too. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Hope this is quilting related. The scraps are from all my quilt projects. LOL!

Onebyone 01-25-2021 10:49 AM

I make them using a terry towel as the backing. It's already bound around the edges.
I use tee shirt fabric so the pieces won't ravel. My quilting friends who make the tee shirt quilts give me all the leftover tee shirt scraps. It makes a great bath mat. I don't fold them just cut lengths about 1-2 inch by four and sew them down the middle leaving the ende loose to make the rug plush.

tranum 01-25-2021 10:59 AM

My humble experience was ripping sheets into strips about 2”. I recall pressing in half then turned raw edges in to the fold so no raw edge showed. Does not have to be perfect. I’m terrible at crochet but I used a huge size hook & crocheted into a round rug. I recall increasing a stitch on each of the 4 “corners” every round or maybe it was every other round. It actually turned out nice & I still use it in a bathroom. That was 15-20 years ago. It washes up great but I don’t machine dry.

Onebyone 01-25-2021 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my rugs in progress. I found it's easier to sew horizontal then vertical on the towel. LOL

ppquilter 01-25-2021 12:29 PM

WOW, nice!

SandyinZ4 01-25-2021 03:29 PM

I was given boxes of 4 inch squares. So I don't want the crochet way. The one I need is where the squares are folded and then sewn through the middle (I think).

SandyinZ4 01-25-2021 03:30 PM

Onebyone..I am wondering if this would be a good project for leftover fleece?

Onebyone 01-25-2021 03:56 PM

I have made the rug using all kinds of scraps. The fleece wouldn't need as many to fill out the base and it won't ravel so no need to fold it. The rug is very heavy if using a large bath towel.

SandyinZ4 01-25-2021 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8455479)
I have made the rug using all kinds of scraps. The fleece wouldn't need as many to fill out the base and it won't ravel so no need to fold it. The rug is very heavy if using a large bath towel.

Thanks for the suggestion- Onebyone! :-)

sewingsuz 01-25-2021 08:54 PM

I would like to do this. Can anyone tell me exactly what to do? Thanks -- I got the 1 to 2 inches by 4 inches. sew them down in the middle. use a Towel as backing. Anything else?