Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using sheets for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-sheets-backing-t53111.html)

EagarBeez 07-06-2010 05:52 AM

I've been reading where some of you find sheets at garage sales, and places such as this. I know from reading that you cut the header off(top portion) of the sheet I am assuming. Cutting this off, does it still leave a big enough piece for the backing? Can someone explain how this is done? I am fairly new, and looking to maybe being able to put a one piece backing. Thank you all

quiltinghere 07-06-2010 05:54 AM

I've purchased 100% cotton sheets (thinking to use them for donation quilts) but haven't used them yet.

If the sheet is not big enough for your quilt - piece it with something else...say leftovers from the front fabric.

Good luck

BKrenning 07-06-2010 06:23 AM

I have done it with no problems on a throw and full size quilt. It depends on the sheet & the shrinkage factor of the materials used in the top. A used sheet isn't going to shrink at all so if your top wasn't made with pre-washed fabrics, it might get a little wonky on you after the first wash.

You actually want the cheaper, thinner sheets. The nice hotel quality will be a bugger to quilt through. It would probably work fine for machine quilting with a bigger needle just like batiks, though.

Flat sheets are about the right size to use for backing if you are making a standard size quilt since sheets have the drop and tuck built into them. If your quilt is larger than standard, just use the next size larger sheet.

Conniequilts 07-06-2010 06:28 AM

Fantastic idea! You just solved one of my problems. Thank you so much!

ckcowl 07-06-2010 06:28 AM

oh my goodness....I CAN JUST SEE THE QUILT POLICE COMMISSIONER QUAKING IN HER SHOES...A SHEET FOR A QUILT BACK ???
sorry, had to put that in so many people get REALLY UPSET when ever this comes up. my philosophy? use what you want to ...just get a sheet that's larger than your quilt top. do remember, poly/cotton blends are harder to quilt (by hand next to impossible) but it can certainly be done --use a sharp needle---they wear like iron and will last a long time.

Pam 07-06-2010 07:06 AM

I agree, the back NEEDS to be larger than the front, after all what is a sheet except a big, perfectly flat, smooth piece of fabric?

mlaceruby 07-06-2010 07:11 AM

I use them for my doggie quilts, tried hand quilting one years ago( that was a mistake!)
And I also use them on picnic and kids playmat quilts
they wash up well and last forever!

littlehud 07-06-2010 07:13 AM

Send the quilting police back where they came from. We don't allow them here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree with you, go ahead and use the sheets. But remember, the most important thing is enjoy what you are doing.

EagarBeez 07-06-2010 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
I use them for my doggie quilts, tried hand quilting one years ago( that was a mistake!)
And I also use them on picnic and kids playmat quilts
they wash up well and last forever!

May I ask why you had a hard time with tying them?

Sadiemae 07-06-2010 07:54 AM

The way I understand it, the sheets have a tighter weave and it is hard to get the needle through it. This makes it difficult to hand quilt.