Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using spray starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-spray-starch-t272349.html)

lyndaj 11-17-2015 06:10 AM

Using spray starch

I have been quilting since 2003, but have never used spray starch! Shocking, I know.:o

When I posted yesterday about ironing out the wrinkles in my One Block Wonder repeats, more than one of you suggested that I use spray starch.

Doesn't that gunk up your iron?

How do you use it?

What are some good brands?

Thanks in advance,

Lynda

ManiacQuilter2 11-17-2015 06:17 AM

I use it sparely. I oversize my block normally (when possible) so I use it when I am pressing my blocks before trimming. I don't think it gunk up my Rowenta tho I do clean it about twice a year. I have never had a problem with "Magic Sizing" that use to be in only available at the super Walmart. But I grabbed some cans when I was last in my local small Walmart. It is in a bright blue can.

scrappingfaye58 11-17-2015 06:50 AM

I actually mix up my own with liquid starch and water, and use a small spray bottle. I usually use a scrap cloth under what I am spraying. I do not have a problem with my iron

IQ2 11-17-2015 06:51 AM

I use Mary Ellen's Best Press (unscented) instead of starch. I've been told that starch invites "critters", which I'd rather avoid. It's available at JoAnn. I spread a sheet under my ironing board and over the counter behind it to avoid getting it on other surfaces, shake the spray bottle, hold it about 8" from the fabric, spray, wait a moment then steam iron. I like it. It doesn't make the fabric too stiff, but gives it a little extra body and helps get rid of all of the wrinkles. I've never had a problem with my iron getting gunky.

QuiltnNan 11-17-2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 (Post 7379179)
I actually mix up my own with liquid starch and water, and use a small spray bottle. I usually use a scrap cloth under what I am spraying. I do not have a problem with my iron

this is the same for me

Jeanne S 11-17-2015 08:18 AM

I think one of the secrets to using spray starch is to spray your fabric and let it sit a few minutes to soak into the fabric fibers before pressing. If you press right after spraying you iron off the starch, get lots of white flakes and some residue on your iron.

EasyPeezy 11-17-2015 08:23 AM

Use a Magic eraser to clean the iron when needed.

Buckeye Rose 11-17-2015 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 (Post 7379179)

It is my preferred method, but have found that my WalMart no longer carries the liquid starch, so I had to buy the cans....will have to do some searching.

Kitsie 11-17-2015 09:57 AM

I use diluted Sta-Flo (1:2) and have never had white flakes or gunk on my old iron. One or two little sptritzes does fine for me. Best Press doesn't seem to give the "body" that starch does.

marge954 11-17-2015 12:12 PM

I use Best Press most of the time. If the quilt has a lot of pieces and I want it to come together easily I dump starch in a dish pan, dip each piece in and lay them flat on a beach towel to dry. The pieces come out stiff as a board and I don't have to iron them:) I pour the rest of the starch back into the bottle to use later.