Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using starch - cleaning the iron afterwards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-starch-cleaning-iron-afterwards-t300278.html)

annesthreads 10-17-2018 09:19 AM

Using starch - cleaning the iron afterwards

I’ve been using a lot of starch on my current project because it needs to be very accurate and includes a lot of sewing on the bias. Now my iron is leaving dirty marks on the fabric. I think it’s too late for this particular iron - it already had a build-up of residue on the plate - but, before I buy a new one, how do you stop starch from messing up the bottom of your iron? I’ve never found a really effective way of cleaning it.

EasyPeezy 10-17-2018 09:55 AM

What kind of iron do you have? I use a no-steam iron (with aluminum soleplate).
When the iron gets dirty I use an SOS pad to clean with a bit of water.
To avoid the mess, I don't cook the starch. I make a starch slurry then add boiling
water. After starching my fabric, I let it rest in the fridge overnight. Then wrap
in towels to dry until slightly damp. Then take to my ironing board. I use a silicone
sheet over the fabric until it's 99% dry. My iron stays clean.

bearisgray 10-17-2018 10:19 AM

Way back when the dinosaurs walked the earth (1950's) - I remember ironing starched items - that had been treated like EasyPeezy stated - and the iron never ever got gunky.

I think Mom used Argo starch with a bit of Satina added to it. It started out with cold water and the starch mixed in the bread bowl, and then she added boiling hot water to it, Then that little blue waxy piece was added and stirred in to the mixture until it melted.

SuziSew 10-17-2018 11:43 AM

If I start getting build up I use one of the "magic erasers". Works great and doesn't mess up my iron. In a pinch I've also just used a regular towel, sprayed it with water and "iron" it until it's clean

suern3 10-17-2018 01:52 PM

Mr Clean Magic Erasers work like "magic" to clean your iron! :) (Couldn't resist) I use them to remove the adhesive I always seem to get on my iron when using fusible web, no matter how careful I am. Or starch build up, what ever I manage to get into. Just dampen the eraser a bit and scrub away. Doesn't hurt your iron.

Jingle 10-17-2018 01:56 PM

That is the main reason I don't use any kind of starch. I didn't know about stuff to add to the starch. In the 1950's my Mom sprinkled clothes to be ironed with just water. I don't recall her using starch.

pocoellie 10-17-2018 01:58 PM

I just use plain old water to clean the sole plate. Here's how I was taught how to starch: when your iron gets all gunky, it's because when you’re ironing,and the fabric hasn't had a chance to absorb the starch, what you're doing is, instead of ironing the fabric, you are ironing the starch. I starch every piece of fabric I'm going to work with, at least 2 hours ahead of the time, throw it in a large ziplock bag, and let it sit, then I'll take it out, either line dry or throw in the dryer for a few minutes, then iron, have never had a problem with the iron getting all gunky then, I do spray mist with water since I don't use the steam on my iron.

Jane Quilter 10-17-2018 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8144819)
Way back when the dinosaurs walked the earth (1950's) - I remember ironing starched items - that had been treated like EasyPeezy stated - and the iron never ever got gunky.

I think Mom used Argo starch with a bit of Satina added to it. It started out with cold water and the starch mixed in the bread bowl, and then she added boiling hot water to it, Then that little blue waxy piece was added and stirred in to the mixture until it melted.

I use starch alot, but what is Santina? or that "little blue waxy piece"? You have my curiosity peaked........

Jane Quilter 10-17-2018 04:10 PM

I use a specialty product to clean my irons sole plate, but the internet has many home made solutions:
https://www.mollymaid.com/cleaning-i...n-an-iron.aspx

gingergrandma 10-18-2018 12:17 AM

I use the magic eraser too!